American Specialty Health, Inc. is seeking an experienced Staff Accountant to join our Finance team. The primary purpose of this position is to assist in the month end closing process by preparing journal entries, reviewing transactions for reasonableness and accuracy, preparing reconciliations and roll forward scheduled and monthly variance analyses. In addition to the month end closing, this position is also responsible for tax preparation and research, other filings, and ad hoc projects throughout the month. This position is responsible for ensuring comprehensive and clear documentation is provided to support and assist the financial reporting team in the preparation of financial statements for the Parent company and its subsidiary companies.
You are invited to learn more about American Specialty Health's events on our events page.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information for entry into general ledger and reporting in the financial statements.
- Applies principles of accounting, and maintain the financial records in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, Company policies, Finance Policies and internal controls.
- Adheres to corporate policy with respect to HIPAA and PHI.
- Meets departmental and team specific performance standards and timelines.
- Sets up and maintains account analyses, reconciling all assigned balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Prepares journal entries and posts to X3 general ledger system, timely, with sufficient and clean support.
- Prepares 6 month trended income statement and balance sheets, analyzing the variances that exceed scope and providing explanations of variances to management monthly.
- Receives and manages Schedule A requests from various agents, brokers, and third party ERISA compliance agents. Prepares on a weekly basis Schedule A’s for form 5500 ERISA compliance filing. Answers and supports various related inquiries from brokers and group agents.
- Reviews all expense accounts during closing on monthly basis for reasonableness, making proposals for corrections and additional accruals, where necessary.
- Prepares a large volume of monthly bank reconciliations.
- Supports Senior Accounting Manager and Senior Staff Accountants in preparation of ad hoc reports and projects, tax returns and reconciliations.
- Participates in annual financial audits, regulatory audits and ad hoc health plan audits.
- Updates and documents policies, procedures and narratives.
- Participates in the documentation and implementation of SOX 404 compliant internal controls and processes.
- Completes ad hoc projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or Master’s Degree in Accounting or Bachelor’s degree with a concentration or minor in Accounting
- Minimum two years of industry or one year public accounting experience.
- Proficient in MS Office including advance experience with Excel and Word. Experience using Sage X3 accounting software is a plus.
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem solving, and technical skills.
- Ability to comprehend, evaluate and apply government regulations and accounting guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a positive, professional and respectful manner and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to display excellent customer service to meet the needs and expectations of both internal and external customers.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize, multi-task and manage time.
- Demonstrated accuracy and productivity in a changing environment with constant interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze information, problems, issues, situations and procedures to develop effective solutions.
- Ability to exercise strict confidentiality in all matters.
Primarily sedentary, able to sit for long periods of time.
Ability to speak, see and hear other personnel and/or objects. Ability to communicate both in oral and written form. Ability to travel within the facility. Capable of using a telephone and computer keyboard. Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
Usual office setting.
American Specialty Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact our Human Resources Department at (800) 848-3555 x6702.
ASH will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the Company’s legal duty to furnish information.