Instructional and Curriculum Specialist - INTO Suffolk
Summary of Position: The Instructional and Curriculum Specialist ensures competence in English as a second language by teaching courses, developing lesson plans, and integrating best practices for content learning with a diverse population. The Instructional and Curriculum Specialist will teach up to four (4) non-credit Academic English courses per semester (semesters include: fall, spring and summer). In addition to instruction, the incumbent is responsible for completing administrative tasks which include but may not be limited to, curriculum review and development, orientation and summer program planning and implementation, and CEA accreditation tasks. This is a 12-month, full-time staff position.
- Academic English non-credit course Instruction. This includes up to 4 courses per semester (fall, spring and summer).
Provide high-quality ESL instruction and administers authentic assessment based on student learning outcomes.
- Prepare and teach lessons that actively engage students in English language learning
- Maintain daily attendance records
- Communicate students’ academic performance on a regular basis including formal mid-term and final evaluation reports.
- Substitute teach as needed
- Hold one office hour per course (4 hours/week)
- Collaborate with the Academic Director and Academic Program Manager to periodically review current Academic English curriculum. Keeps up to date with best practices in ESL instruction and methodology to inform curriculum design decisions and plays an integral role in the INTO- Suffolk Curriculum Engagement Committee.
- Contribute to CEA accreditation as needed
- Plan, implement, and review placement testing for new student orientation. Deliver orientation sessions on various topics such as American Classroom Expectations, Academic Honesty and Cross-Cultural Adjustment
- Organize and lead instructor professional development meetings.
- Participate in all staff meetings as required
- A Master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) or related field
- Minimum three years’ experience teaching in an academically focused intensive English program
- Strong computer skills including MS Office, Outlook and Blackboard
- Knowledge of successful strategies for classroom management, especially in terms of linguistically and culturally diverse students
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Creativity and flexibility in the classroom is expected. Comfortable teaching a range of ESL levels with flexibility in accommodating students of different backgrounds.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience with Business English instruction and curriculum design is preferred
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts. Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.
Posting Date: May 13, 2019