Associate General Counsel
Rodan + Fields is seeking an Associate General Counsel to manage commercial, including transactions, IP, Privacy and Ethics + compliance, including in all areas the law and policies applying to direct selling companies and direct sellers, international work, and other special projects such as development of policies and procedures. The successful candidate will provide strategic advice on business matters and legal affairs to ensure the Company is operating within the law. This position will directly report to the Chief Legal Officer & Secretary and partner with executives and other key members of management to accomplish goals.
We are a highly collaborative, innovative, and inclusive legal team that delivers world-class legal services to our company and our business partners, including helping drive our business strategy and guiding the company in taking smart risks consistent with our values.
- Provide legal and strategic business advice and support relating to ethics + compliance, law and policies applying to direct selling companies and direct sellers, international work in this area
- Own and manage R+F’s “compliance” function, including managing compliance team members, liaising with external monitoring service and internal customer care and commissions functions, and overseeing and ensuring the receiving, documenting, tracking, investigating, and acting on all consultant compliance reports.
- Lead, drive and provide thought leadership on the transformation of the compliance team from “policing” to “ethics and success” partnering with R+F consultants.
- Oversee updates to the Consultant agreement and policies and procedures as needed
- Undertake government affairs work re: the direct selling industry and liaise with the Direct Selling Association, including monitoring movements related to the Business Opportunity Rule
- Own understanding of FTC oversight of the direct selling industry and Federal tax code provisions supporting direct seller status and interface with leadership and Sales Organization regarding same
- Serve as expert on Consultant agreement (including Policies, procedures and compensation plans) and coordinate with marketing legal team to review consultant and marketing materials
- Lead commercial transactions and IP + Privacy team
- Assist with Company efforts to enact public company-like structures and processes
- Manage and lead various legal operations initiatives and lead continuous improvements, which may include those vis a vis budgeting, knowledge management, training, contract processes, and other planning; lead other special projects or serve on cross functional teams
- Serve on the Legal department’s leadership team
- Develop strategic cross functional partnerships with business and functional team members and help further R+F strategic priorities
- Draft and interpret applicable policies and proactively educate clients and enforcement trends and discrete legal issues
- Ability to negotiate, interact and liaise with others positively and proactively to efficiently manage matters as they arise
- Experienced leadership, expertise, and ability to drive successful outcomes on a wide range of initiatives, such as areas listed in areas of responsibility and/or others
- Excellent communication, counseling, decision making, problem solving and influencing skills with the ability to gather diverse points of view and listen
- Demonstrated success at providing strategic counseling to business partners that takes into account legal considerations along with business goals.
- Emotional intelligence and ability to work well cross-functionally with people at all levels of the organization, including with a variety of senior business leaders and stakeholders
- Experience serving on a legal leadership team and/or cross functional business leadership team
- Ability to lead and drive various legal operations initiatives and lead continuous improvements
- Excellent execution and organizational skills, and strong technology skills
- Unquestioned personal integrity: seen as a role model for ethical principles and values of the company and practices required by law
- Excellent judgment and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Firmness and courage to confront issues at every level
- Ability to balance multiple complex matters concurrently, and manage and prioritize the most efficient and effective legal resources to complete work on time and cost-effectively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity, and pro-bono service and/or community involvement
- Effective oral and written communication skills in all interactions with senior management, corporate departments, the Board, and all levels of employees across the globe
- Developed business acumen, with ability to understand the company's business and strategy with the ability to anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings
- Strong work ethic, ability to adapt to rapidly changing environments
- Some travel may be required
Years and Type of Experience:
- 15+ years as a practicing attorney with significant and demonstrable experience in leading and developing a team, a wide range of strategic commercial transactions, overseeing IP matters and direct selling/franchise and other relevant experience; substantial experience advising on general commercial matters, including experience at a top tier law firm. In house experience greatly preferred.
- JD degree and bachelor’s degree; top tier undergraduate and law schools
- Member of the California State Bar, or having the qualifications and willingness to sit for (and pass) the California bar exam or qualifications for registration under the California State Bar in-house counsel program
Rodan + Fields was founded in 2000 by Stanford-trained dermatologists Dr. Katie Rodan and Dr. Kathy Fields with a passion for giving people the best skin of their lives — and the confidence that comes with it. With effective products, a unique business model and a powerful community of Independent Consultants, Rodan + Fields has disrupted the skincare category to become a leading skincare brand in North America. The company has grown its innovative line of products and expanded into Canada, Australia and Japan. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, R+F now employs 500+ people, has more than 300,000 enrolled Independent Consultants and over two million Preferred Customers.
At Rodan + Fields, you will be challenged to make an impact, inspired to do more, and rewarded for your contributions. We are transforming skincare, and we welcome your big ideas to fuel our ambitious growth plans! If you are looking for a life-changing career opportunity, we've got your prescription. You’ll become part of a positive, passionate movement that celebrates greatness and encourages employees to be catalysts for change. We provide a creative, vibrant workplace outfitted with all of the technology, tools and training you'll need to learn, grow and thrive! We create life-changing impact in our communities through our non-profit, Prescription for Change®, the heart of Rodan + Fields. By funding empowerment programs for students, we teach them how to use their skills to make life-changing differences in their lives and the lives of others. Join us and share your talents as we develop innovative solutions for your skin and empower entrepreneurs. In addition to working arm-in-arm with industry leaders, employees at Rodan + Fields enjoy rich benefits plans and perks.
Rodan + Fields is an equal opportunity employer that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for all. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military/veteran status, or disability status.
We welcome employees to be their true, authentic selves, without exception and believe individual differences add value to our team. Join our team; we know it will be a life- changing experience!
With the spread of COVID-19 globally, our Bay Area offices will remain closed until further notice with the exception of phase 1 employees that require access to hardware and lab equipment.
Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our employees as well as candidates. We have transitioned all interviews and new hire onboarding to be conducted virtually via Zoom video conferencing.