Crowd TD (Feature Animation)
The Crowd Technical Director is responsible for producing complex crowd shots using a variety of sprite, vignette and simulation techniques, for use in DNEGs Feature Animation’s films. The Crowd TD works under the direction and supervision of the Crowd Supervisor and VFX and CG Supervisors to develop a specific look, movement and style that achieves the Creative Goals and vision of the VFX Supervisor and Director. A Crowd TD will successfully deliver simulations by gathering a variety of 3D Assets produced by our Build, Layout and Animation departments, using off the shelf software – primarily Houdini and Maya – and custom pipeline tools to create photo realistic crowd simulations.
- Good understanding of Houdini crowd simulation or related software programs.
- Proven experience in producing crowd simulations with an eye for details, good sense of timing, and thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to physical simulation in computer graphics.
- Familiarity with pipeline issues and problem solving.
- Experienced in balancing quality with time constraints.
- Experience in live action VFX Films is a plus.
- Excellent artistic and technical skills.
Nice to Have
- Programming or scripting skills (e.g. mel, python)
- Experience in live action FX or Crowd work preferred
- Houdini, Massive and Maya and/or equivalent 3D software knowledge
- Experience in other areas of visual effects (TV, Games) will also be taken into account
- A good general TD background
- Maya, Python, Hscript or Mel knowledge
- Strong understanding of Linux/Unix based operating systems
- Organised, pro-active team player and a self-starter
- A team player and clear communicator
- Good attitude towards the work by being approachable and personable
- Adaptable and with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques – including proprietary software
- Calm under pressure and committed to meet production deadlines
- A positive, can-do attitude
We are DNEG, one of the world's leading visual effects, animation and stereo conversion companies for feature film and television, with studios in London, Vancouver, Mumbai, Los Angeles, Chennai, Montréal, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Goa.