Photographer / Retoucher: Commerce (Contract)
About Your Role:
Dotdash is seeking a Photographer/Retoucher who will be responsible for shooting and retouching products for reviews across a wide variety of categories. This role incorporates a knowledge of photo aesthetics and art direction with strong organizational skills, communication skills, and an editorial sensibility. This candidate will be both shooting and retouching their own photos, as well as retouching and providing feedback on photos submitted by staff. This is currently a six-month project, with the possibility of extending for a longer term.
We are looking for someone who has experience shooting products in a very organic and approachable way—not just pixel-perfect representations on a stark white background--who can achieve a natural look with minimal setup. Most photos will be captured around our office and not in studio. This position favors self-starters with their own camera who have the ability to think on their feet and also thrive in a team atmosphere.
About Your Contributions:
- Assist in the management, workflow and output of all product photography
- Light, style, and shoot on-brand photos day-to-day in-house as needed
- Collaborate with Senior Photo Editor on standards, formats, style and direction
- Review staff product photos for quality and style and provide constructive feedback
- Retouch and deliver assets according to schedule
- Organize and catalog photos for publication
- Interface with Commerce Editors on asset requests and delivery
- 3+ years experience as a photographer and retoucher in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Lightroom and Photoshop with an ability to perform mid to high level editorial retouching (color correction, removing artifacts, extending backgrounds, etc)
- A strong portfolio of photos you have shot and edited yourself demonstrating consistent aesthetic approaches, focused compositions, effective lighting and styling skills
- Awareness of the digital media landscape. Knowledge of current visual trends in product review photography and ideas for how to improve in the field
- Ability to proactively track activity across a high volume of assets and ensure delivery of those assets on time
- Excellent file management and organizational skills—always striving to improve process and workflow
- An editorial motivation to present the most effective visual experience possible for readers
- Experience working with, and coaching amateur photographers a plus
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, TripSavvy and ThoughtCo.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.