About Your Role
Dotdash is seeking a highly organized and creative video maker, with legit production chops and experience in instructional video, to join its growing team as Video Producer. You’ll pitch, shoot, edit, and publish short-form web videos that inform and inspire audiences across the Dotdash suite of properties and video formats – explainers, demos, recipes, and interviews, on everything from tech to food. As a Video Producer, you’ll be responsible for all aspects of the production process – development; shooting, directing, lighting, and audio; editing; basic audio mixing, color correction, and light motion graphics. You’ll also manage your own productions, finding locations, hiring crew, and tracking budgets. The Dotdash video team produces hundreds of instructional videos across many brands and categories, so this is an exciting role for a video creator to collaborate with a talented team and tackle a wide scope of content.
About Your Contributions
- Create a large volume of great-looking instructional videos that are on-brand, fresh, and engaging.
- Own production of multiple projects from concept all the way through upload and thumbnail selection. Develop ideas; research; write scripts and treatments; coordinate shoots; shoot, light, and direct; edit and upload.
- Strive to hit aggressive output goals and deadlines while maintaining and improving quality.
- Identify opportunities for incorporating videos on-site, and develop clever, new ways to illustrate concepts.
- Collaborate with the video team and project stakeholders to pitch and execute ideas.
- Solve big and small problems before they arise, and take ownership of critical details like scouting locations, assembling sets, casting, and procuring crew and props.
- Upload and coordinate asset delivery. Maintain all project documentation from budgets to contracts.
- 4-6 years producing, shooting, and editing videos for digital publishers. Genuine knowledge of the online video space and experience with instructional video formats in home, beauty, food, and/or DIY categories.
- Extensive knowledge of digital cinema cameras. Bonus points for experience with the FS7 and C100.
- Proficiency with lighting and audio gear; ability to troubleshoot production challenges quickly.
- Advanced knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite. Skilled at quickly turning around edits in Premiere and After Effects.
- Experience creating and building motion graphics to layer onto live-action video; stylish design and edit sensibility.
- Openness and willing to learn and collaborate with team members. You’re often a leader, but you’re also comfortable in a supporting role for colleagues.
- Can-do approach to production and an eagerness to do more with less. You’re resourceful and excited by creative challenges.
- Organized, driven, and fast. You get the big picture but you catch the details, and you don’t let things slip through the cracks.
For more than 20 years, Dotdash brands have been helping people find answers, solve problems, and get inspired. We are one of the top-20 largest content publishers on the Internet according to comScore, a leading Internet measurement company, and reach more than 30% of the U.S. population every month. Our brands collectively have won more than 20 industry awards in the last year alone and, most recently, Dotdash was named Publisher of the Year by Digiday, a leading industry publication. Our brands include Verywell, The Spruce, The Balance, Investopedia, Lifewire, Byrdie, MyDomaine, TripSavvy and ThoughtCo.
Dotdash embraces inclusivity and values our diverse community. We are committed to building a team based on qualifications, merit and business need. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.