Intern, Manufacturing Continuous Improvement
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Manufacturing Continuous Improvement Intern will work on 1 major or 1-2 minor projects over the 3 month internship. The project will be matched with the intern’s skills and interests. The scope of the internship will be focused on continuous improvement activities in Manufacturing. Projects may include designing dashboards and metrics of a continuous improvement portfolio, developing communication of activities within the department, and executing small initiatives to improve business processes within manufacturing operations.
Skills the intern will gain:
This internship experience will provide valuable perspective into manufacturing and continuous improvement. The intern will develop skills such as critical thinking, data analysis, visual management, general lean and six sigma principals, and a general understanding of Drug Substance Manufacturing in a regulated environment. Lastly, this internship will offer the individual the opportunity to explore long term career aspirations and a roadmap in how to achieve long term goals.
- At least starting 3rd year in the fall of 2019 in any of the scientific disciplines
- Proficient in Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to work in a gowned environment 10% of the time.
- Positive attitude, attention to detail, energetic and able to work independently and/or with a team.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community