Research Associate II, Vector Biology - Capsid Discovery
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Vector Biology Group at BioMarin Pharmaceutical is currently recruiting exceptional individuals for a Research Associate II position in research for our Vector Biology group. Successful candidates will join a dynamic interdisciplinary group which will develop and commercialize the major gene therapeutics for several genetic diseases. Applicants should have a Bachelors or Masters degree in a relevant field, be experts in molecular biology, and cell biology. Experience in cell culture and molecular biology techniques, protein expression analysis is required. Experience in viral-based vector biology, virology, and gene therapy are desirable. Teamwork, individual-initiative, and meticulous record keeping are essential.
This position is to support vector or transgene engineering and characterization for evaluation in gene therapy applications.
- Cell culture based assays
- Vector / transgene production and characterization
- Perform PCR, molecular cloning, DNA purification, qPCR and sequencing analysis.
- Cell culture based assays and vector production
- Execute and document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail
- Cell culture work – multiple cell lines, viral production
- Molecular biology – DNA isolation, primer design, PCR, cloning techniques, sequence analysis
- Biochemistry characterization skills - western blot, dot-blot, ELISA, chromatorgraphy
- Strong organization skills and computer skills (proficient in use of Microsoft excel, Powerpoint, Snapgene, BLAST)
- Ability to multitask efficiently in a dynamic environment
- Assay development experience
- Gene therapy experience is a plus but not required
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related scientific field and at least 4 years of experience - OR - a Masters degree with at least 2 years of relevant experience
- Laboratory equipment
- Must be able to work in a team format and present data at internal meetings.
- No directs reports.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.