STEM Instructors (Various Locations)
POSITION: STEM INSTRUCTOR
CLASSIFICATION CODE: EXEMPT FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: SCHOOL ENRICHMENT / SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, AND MATH (STEM) AND SOCIAL EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) PROGRAM
REPORTS TO: STEM CURRICULUM DEVELOPER
STATEMENT OF JOB: This position is responsible for leading in the delivery of the STEM SEL curriculum and hands-on learning projects in classroom environments and during extracurricular activities outside of school; supporting teachers and STEM SEL Staff with the integration of STEM SEL projects to successfully integrate the use of effective strategies in order to enhance student learning. The STEM SEL Instructor also acts as a Behavioral Health Technician, writing behavioral notes on specific students regarding the implementation of their Behavioral Learning Plan. In addition, the STEM SEL Instructor’s specific duties include delivering STEM projects and SEL lessons directly to students. The STEM SEL instructor needs a valid AZ substitute teaching license to be able to work with students without direct supervision or assistance on occasion.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Implement the STEM SEL curriculum for K-12 students; work directly with students as a STEM SEL instructor.
- Implement the use of technology to deliver the STEM SEL lessons.
- Identify and report to STEM SEL Developers concerning learning needs, barriers and challenges in the organizing and implementation of STEM SEL curricula; and implement problem-solving actions.
- Assist and provide input and support plans to implement STEM SEL curricula into existing courses or assist in developing new courses and curricula. Ensure all program activities are directly connected to both the classroom expectations of WUSD and the vision of the STEM SEL Program.
- Work directly with STEM SEL Educators, Specialty Coaches, Developers and WUSD Teachers in the development, implementation and evaluation of STEM SEL initiatives and curriculum.
- Provide consistent communication with school coaches on the integration of SEL activities within the classroom, and status reports on ABHS enrolled youth; must establish a positive helping relationship with ABHS enrolled youth.
- Share information and best practices in STEM SEL implementation with WUSD and STEM SEL staff. Provide technical assistance during implementation of STEM SEL lessons.
- Provide oversight for technology devices used in the classroom.
- Coordinate and helps organize any special STEM SEL events/activities including before school, after school, lunchtime, weekends and holidays.
- Documents contact with clients in order to assess needs, maintain required paperwork and engage family members. Complete documentation in accordance with Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) and ABHS Standards.
- Participation in all required ABHS training.
- Abide by all applicable policies, procedures, and program standards of ABHS, White Mountain Apache Tribe, Indian Health Services, Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) and other pertinent regulatory authorities.
- Maintain ethical policies and guidelines as outlined in accepted State ethics laws, rules, policies and principles and as outlined in discipline-specific code of ethics.
- Provide a positive role model to clients and staff through leadership, self-discipline, and genuine care for the treatment and recovery of clients. All clients and staff members must be treated with dignity and respect.
- Participation in all required ABHS training.
- Reports/attends work in timely manner. Must be reliable and communicate directly with supervisor in all matters of attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in mental health/human services or education related field. One year mental health experience preferred; experience working with Native Americans preferred.
- A current substitute teacher’s license in the state of Arizona.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to speak the Apache language preferred.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem-solving and organizational and time management skills with ability to work independently, with flexibility within prescribed deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of people, teams, managers, supervisors, including basic knowledge in supervising and evaluating staff
- MS Office proficiency and ability to correctly operate copy machine and fax.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License and reliable transportation.
- Ability to pass all pre-employment testing, including, but not limited to, fingerprint clearance, drug testing and background check.
**NOTE: Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473).
The physical characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Constant: standing. Frequent: repetitive use of hand, walking, standing, bending neck and waist, squatting, climbing, kneeling, twisting neck and waist, simple grasping of left and right hand, power grasping right and left hand, fine manipulation right and left hand, pushing and pulling right and left hand, reaching above shoulder level, reaching below shoulder level, lifting objects weighing up to 25 pounds from below the waist to a height of 3 feet.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. The employment is considered “at will” and agree that employment can be terminated with or without cause and with or without notice at any time at the option of either the employee or the company.