Consultant (Cooling), Energy program (Kerala)
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
Program overview and about the Role
WRI India’s energy program engages national and subnational stakeholders to accelerate energy efficiency in buildings. Beyond building energy efficiency, the program goals include acknowledging the need for mainstreaming sustainable cooling strategies in buildings to achieve thermal comfort for all through inclusive policies and programs. In line with this stream of work, WRI India has projects in Kerala and Assam to promote widespread adoption of sustainable cooling practices across multiple sectors. The project also intends to support subnational government institutions to fast track the implementation of the India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP) in their respective regions.
Along with the support from the team, the potential candidate will contribute towards achieving the goals defined under this project. He/ She will ideally be based out of Kerala or require travelling to the state to support the project’s activities. The candidate is expected to demonstrate his/her involvement in the other ongoing energy programs of WRI in the state.
How your day will unfold
- Identify and engage with stakeholders and communities in the state relevant to the project objectives. Identify stakeholder needs and priorities based on discussions and meetings.
- Conduct research and analysis on sustainable and inclusive cooling strategies for affordable houses suitable for the diverse geographies and climatic conditions
- Conduct research and analysis of state climatic features, demography, and geographies to identify locations/communities for case studies.
- Working with other team members assess challenges and opportunities for subnational government agencies to implement ICAP.
- Support development of reports and knowledge products to document and communicate the findings and learnings from this research through written materials, and presentations.
- Under the guidance of the project manager, assist in tracking of deliverables, coordination with partners and stakeholders, reporting to funder, monitoring and evaluation activities and any other daily task management activities.
- Travel to the key project sites based on the project needs.
- Graduate or post graduate degree in science, engineering, architecture, policy, or related fields
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in buildings sector, environment, public policy, or energy.
- Strong interest and knowledge on cooling and related projects, initiatives, and programs at the subnational and national levels in India
- Knowledge and interest in national and international policy discourse around sustainable and inclusive cooling, climate action, and building efficiency are necessary.
- Experience working in Kerala -particularly with state government agencies, CSOs, academia, and the private sector is necessary.
- Technical and quantitative skills and some training in research methods are desirable. Experience conducting cost-benefit analysis is an asset.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in conversation and writing, including professional-quality writing for research and communications products.
- Willingness to travel on short notice when needed by the project/program.
- The ability to respond to urgent requests from the team proactively is an asset.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others; to demonstrate flexibility in fulfilling assignments.
- Fluency in English and Malayalam is a must. Proficiency in other languages is desirable.
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal to be formally considered. Only select applicants will be contacted for interview. There will be writing test conducted with final candidates. Please do not contact program staff directly for this position.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.