Carbon Neutrality Research Analyst_Climate and Energy Program
Research Analyst, Carbon Neutrality
Climate & Energy Program
World Resources Institute, China
WRI China is committed to facilitate and accelerate low-carbon and climate resilient development in China towards achieving carbon emissions peaking before 2030 and carbon neutrality before 2060. Our study found that the Yangtze River Delta, Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, and the Jing-Jin-Ji region, which contribute about one-third of China GDP and carbon emissions, will play an important role in pioneering carbon emissions peaking and carbon neutrality in China.
In line with our expanding works in these regions, we are seeking a Research Analyst to support our research, engagement, and communications in, but not limited to, these priority regions. You will work with our in-house and external specialists to conduct research and engage with policymakers, businesses, the civil society at the local and national levels to advance transformative solutions for carbon neutrality in these regions. You will have opportunities to leverage WRI’s global network of expertise to deliver our works in China and to share our experience with our global networks across the continents. You will be based in Beijing with frequent domestic travels and occasional international travels (currently there is international travel restriction due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Conduct research and produce research products such as strategic papers and policy briefs on topics related to carbon neutrality roadmaps, sectoral transition strategy, and others.
- Conduct climate-economy modeling using models such as the Energy Policy Simulator, Green Economic Model, LEAP, etc.
- Collaborate with partners to undertake pilot projects in cities, counties, communities, and/or industrial parks.
- Engage with stakeholders through roundtables, seminars, workshops, policy dialogues, training, and other communication and engagement activities.
- Develop blog posts, commentaries, and other communication materials to reach out to the targeted stakeholders.
- Support the management of the assigned projects, including project planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting.
- Perform other tasks as requested by the supervisor.
- A master’s degree in climate policy, energy, environmental economics, industrial economics, or other related fields.
- Strong research skill with English/Chinese publication experience.
- Experience in climate/environment-economy modeling is a plus, but not required.
- 1-5 years of relevant work experience in China.
- Excellent command of written and spoken Chinese and English.
- Strong team spirit with excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with staff and external stakeholders at all levels, and flexibility to work across different time zones.
- Willingness and ability to travel.
Location: Beijing, China
Reporting Line: This position reports to China Climate & Energy Project Manager
Salary and Benefits: Competitive compensation will be offered commensurate with qualifications