Project Associate - Clean Energy, Jaipur, Rajasthan
Project Associate - Clean Energy, Jaipur, Rajasthan
Who we are what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
About your role:
WRI globally, has deep experience in the energy sector and on climate change across several topic areas and is widely recognized as a leader on energy and climate issues. In India, we have a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships to support India’s clean energy transition across varied economic activities like extraction, production, distribution, consumption and waste management ; in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity and minimizing energy losses and thereby contributing to energy planning and policy analysis.
The Energy program at WRI India is seeking an Associate (Clean Energy) to scale up the deployment of clean energy by pursuing both discom oriented and consumer oriented strategies.
How your day will unfold:
The Associate (Clean Energy) will be part of a focused team; with the following responsibilities:
- Support the team with appropriate analysis (economic, regulatory etc.) of the utility sector, rate design and electricity markets for Rajasthan and other states of India
- Develop, build and maintain databases of utility electricity supply, demand, sources, costs, tariffs, revenues etc. for Rajasthan and other states of India
- Track tariff petitions and regulatory commission orders (tariff and non-tariffs) – especially those related to clean energy in Rajasthan and other states of India
- Curate and manage the Green Power Market Development Group (GPMDG) chapter in Rajasthan drawing on commercial and industrial consumers, developers, and policy makers.
- Track the energy scenario in Rajasthan and selected states across India
- Analyze and monitor the implementation of national and state energy policies, regulations and laws in selected states
- Support the team in conducting policy research and analysis of existing and emerging programs, policies and regulatory areas related to energy and electricity
- Participate in research projects to produce policy /issue briefs, and other publications and reports (online and print)
- Develop policy recommendations for research and projects of the energy team
- Visit key state energy agencies, attend government, private sector, civil society and academic convenings and discussions and participate in important energy policy fora and represent WRIs research, analysis and point of view at these fora.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the senior management, including support on research and analysis.
Qualifications we seek:
- Appropriate Master’s degree in any energy, economics, engineering or development related discipline with exposure to the subject area of Energy/Environmental Economics.
- Five years of relevant experience in energy/ power sector in a business, consulting or regulatory setting
- Strong commitment to and understanding of the environmental and socio-economic development movement and sustainability issues
- Fluency in English. Ability to converse in Hindi and other regional language(s) will be an added advantage
- Foreign nationals applying must have valid permits for work in India.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong research and analytical skills, supported by professional experience in the domain of electricity markets, energy procurement, utility regulatory environment is necessary
- Knowledge of the electricity sector (with a focus on utilities), power sector policy development processes and governmental functioning is necessary
- Experience in structuring open access and rooftop solar transactions is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge about economics concepts, tools and techniques related to electric utilities is a distinct advantage
- Proficiency in software programs like Python, R, Stata is an added advantage
- Hands-on experience with new tools and modelling techniques to contribute to the on-going/new research projects
- Knowledge of international development, global energy and climate policy issues is an advantage
- Good communications skill supported by a portfolio of articulations, e.g., writings and speaking engagements related to electricity/energy domain
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in conversation and writing, including professional quality writing for policy and communications products
- Strong ability to brainstorm and think creatively about all elements of their work.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others; to demonstrate flexibility in fulfilling assignments.
Salary and Benefits: 6,50,000 to 7,50,000 CTC PA
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: : Term hire till November 2023 ( which is extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Jaipur, Rajasthan
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.