Consultant as Communications Specialist for Energy and Sustainable Business Program
WRI Indonesia's energy program works to advance reliable, clean energy and reduce carbon emissions, while balancing the need for economic advancement. WRI Indonesia believe that sustainable development highlights the need for integrated approaches to finding solutions that are aligned with the challenge of achieving economic, social, and environmental goals that are often interlinked. Therefore, the energy program aims to work across disciplines with the cities team, climate team and the ocean to combine low carbon technology systems, quantitative models, and other policy-making decision tools to achieve and support key national initiatives in Indonesia such as the acceleration of the achievement of 23% renewable energy targets and Indonesia net zero ambition.
One of our flagship initiatives is the Clean Energy Investment Accelerator or CEIA, an innovative public-private partnership that addresses barriers to clean energy deployment in the commercial and industrial sectors in emerging markets, which include Vietnam, Indonesia, and the Philippines. The CEIA is part of a consortium of partners which include the Climate Group (RE100), CDP, Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC), and the Global Solar Council (GSC), that established in 2022 the Asia Clean Energy Coalition, a “supra national” body aimed at enabling corporate procurement of renewable energy, and accelerating overall supply of renewable energy, across Asia.
WRI Indonesia also leads work across different Energy Program portfolios including, among others, the Climate Solutions Partnership, Electric Vehicle Pilots, and B20/G20 Network and Knowledge Support as part of Indonesia’s G20 Presidency in 2022.
The Communications Specialist will support WRI Indonesia by developing and implementing communications plans based on strategies developed together with the Energy team and in support of the communications team for the Climate, Energy, Cities and the Ocean (CECO) programs especially those under the Energy portofolio, while managing multiple communications channels (such as website, social media, blog, publications, media relations, and events), and ensuring smooth and responsive communications coordination among partners and stakeholders. The support shall be specifically for the following programs:
- Clean Energy Investment Accelerator
- Asia Clean Energy Coalition
- Climate Solutions Partnership
- Electric Vehicle Pilots
The Communications Specialist for Energy and Sustainable Business Program will proactively collaborate with other program teams on related work. The ideal post holder will have proficient communications skills, sharp analytical thinking, and be able to demonstrate their ability to effectively engage with various national, sub- national and international stakeholders. She/he will report to and work collaboratively with Communications Manager, Senior Communications Coordinator for CECO, and Senior Manager for Energy, WRI Indonesia. This position will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia.
What You Will Do
COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY and CAMPAIGNS (40%)
- Manage the day-to-day for the implementation of communications strategies and creative campaigns for any assigned program under the Energy program in Indonesia. The scope of work includes, but is not limited to communications materials development, events management, media engagement, video development, writing, and social media engagement.
- Respond to program needs and provide strategic communications feedback to advance projects’ impacts;
- Lead the development, design, and implementation of communication vehicles and materials to make sure messages are delivered through the right medium. Materials include but are not limited to advertisements, videos, brochures, press releases, slide deck, letters, etc.
- Develop ideas for interactive media pieces including infographics, slideshows, charts, and videos, and support their design and promotion;
- Develop and maintain relationship with various key stakeholders (government, donors, funding agencies, public leaders, etc.) to improve the image of the organization and open avenues of opportunities;
- Develop and maintain key media contacts;
- In coordination with Communications Manager, Senior Communications Coordinator for CECO, and Senior Manager for Energy, WRI Indonesia, and other relevant staff, support clear advocacy/ campaign strategies for each thematic sector at all levels and ensure that advocacy plans throughout the program are compatible, consistent, and effectively delivered.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT (30%)
- Coordinate the narrative and messaging that WRI Indonesia deliver at the project level
- Set and continually manage project with team members
- Develop and manage communications budgets for relevant projects
- Monitor financial performance for communications in relevant projects
- Co-develop and implement outreach strategies with the program team;
- Coordinate media outreach to traditional & new media. Assist with proactive outreach such as pitching, research, handling incoming requests, and monitoring daily news coverage;
- Plan events for publication launches, round-table discussions, meetings, and other announcements. This includes engaging with third-party vendors and consultants;
- Develop and maintain website content and social media presence, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn;
- Coordinate outreach to partners and stakeholders via email communications, events, and other opportunities;
- Develop ideas, write, and edit a variety of internal and external materials, such as blog posts, brochures, media materials, newsletters, op-eds, and more;
- Manage contact database;
OTHER SUPPORT (10%)
- Support the team in communications tools (slide deck, letters, presentations, etc.) to make sure the team is equipped with the right and aligned messages through the right medium;
- Support and manage communications strategies for reports, events, conferences, and news opportunities including media content
- Monitor and support the publications process, including outreach planning, production, and distribution;
- Provide general administrative support, such as scheduling, event logistics, and other responsibilities as needed;
What You Will Need
- Ideal candidate will have bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or other relevant fields;
- Professional experience of min. 3 years in communications;
- International experience or prior work in a global organization preferred;
- Experience in social media management and how to use it to impact audiences;
- Experience in working with reporters or members of the media (and established media contacts) preferred;
- Experience and proven ability to communicate effectively with Indonesian government officials preferred;
- Interest and experience in forestry, energy, or other natural resources-related issues in Indonesia preferred;
- Articulate, versatile, highly skilled writer with professional writing experience (professional clips or writing samples preferred);
- Social media savvy with the ability to properly utilize each channelfor best impact to targeted audiences
- Ability to work effectively within a tight deadline in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team;
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices, and partners;
- Experience in working with a content management system (CMS) preferred;
- Ability to think creatively and collaboratively about all elements of communications work;
- Visual skills, such as photography, graphic design, and Adobe Photoshop are desirable;
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products;
- Fluency in both Bahasa Indonesia and English, with a strong emphasis on written and spoken communications (additional language skills are welcome);
- Legally able to work in Indonesia.
- International experience or prior work in a global organization
- Experience in working with a content management system (CMS)
- Experience in working with reporters or members of the media (and established media contacts)
- Interest and experience in sustainability, energy, and climate-related issues in Indonesia
- Visual skills, such as photography, graphic design, and Adobe Photoshop
- Experience and proven ability to communicate effectively with government officials;
Monthly consolidated report on delivery, achievement and lessons learned. Other deliverables include but not limited to:
- Project's communications strategies development and implementation report
- Project's activities implementation including the analysis report of each activity.
- Minutes of Meeting from the stakeholders’ engagements undertaken during the course of the project
- Communications materials development such as video (in coordination with third party), press release, blog, op-eds, website content, slide deck, as assigned
- Draft social media content, as assigned
This position is expected to start immediately with initial contract up to 12 months
Terms of Payment
Daily rate-based consultant with maximum of 18 (eighteen) working days per month
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal .
Application close: 1700 (DKI Jakarta local time), 27 August 2023. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia, and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, gender diverse communities, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI works with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.