Consultant as UI/UX Engineer
WRI Indonesia is an independent research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. At WRI Indonesia, we aim to bring innovations in research and business approaches in order to create the enabling conditions for Indonesia to achieve robust economic growth while respecting environmental and social values. We seek to contribute to the accomplishment of ambitious sustainable development goals through working with leaders in public and private sectors, as well as collaborating with civil society organizations, in turning big ideas into action.
Within our Agriculture, Forest and Land Use (AFOLU) Program, we envision critical ecosystems such as forests and peatland across Indonesia to be governed fairly and sustainably. We believe sustainable land use management is key for Indonesia to meet its climate goal, in line with keeping the global climate target below the 1.5 degree Celcius warming threshold, while providing sustainable livelihoods to forest-dependent communities and conserve biodiversity in the landscape. We intend to achieve this through safeguarding the remaining forest and peatland from deforestation, degradation, and fragmentation; maintaining forests and peatland quality through sound stewardship; and restoring degraded ecosystem to improve its productivity, conservation value, and ecosystem services.
To achieve Indonesia’s climate goal while at the same time improving the livelihood of the communities and protecting biodiversity, we work together with partners to mainstream nature-based solutions (NbS) as an approach to address global climate challenge. We aim to achieve this through research, policy advocacy, and creation of a community of practice to develop new financing model for forest conservation, advocate regulatory framework that are conducive for NbS approach, and development of multi-stakeholder platform to amplify and accelerate NbS approach in Indonesia and South East Asia region.
WRI Indonesia has joined with 7 other NGOs to form the Southeast Asia Climate and Nature-based Solution (SCeNe) Coalition in recognition of the scale of action required, the time-bound opportunity for impact and the risks to people and nature if we do not act collaboratively to speed up and scale up design and implementation of high-integrity and high-quality NbS. The extensive experience of these environmental NGOs in the development and execution of NbS offers a powerful, shared platform to inform and influence this rapidly growing sector.
The SCeNe Coalition is aimed to develop Web-based Tool and Website for Southeast Asia Climate and Nature-based Solution (SCeNe) Coalition. The tool will help to identify high impact future NbS opportunities, ensuring a targeted pipeline of NbS supply that focus on geographies with the highest conservation, social development and carbon potential. This tool will also help to validate triple benefit quality, giving the projects additional scientific credibility; to ensure finance is flowing transparently; and to increase ecosystem participation
UI/UX Engineer will be based in Jakarta and responsible to develop an open-sourced web-based NbS tool that enables easy access for local organizations and investors to documentation, data and methods needed to develop and monitor ‘triple benefit’ Nature-based Solutions (NbS) projects, enabling a targeted pipeline of NbS supply that focuses on geographies with the highest carbon, conservation, and social impact potential. This position will be reporting directly to NBS Financing Senior Program Lead while working closely with Lead Developer.
What You Will Do
Design and Tool Development (90%)
- Work with development team and Workstream manager to define product requirements for web-based tool.
- Conduct assessment for user requirement to support the development of web-based tool
- Design user interactions on web pages in collaboration with front-end developer and UI/UX designer.
- Build prototypes to assist in user research, using low- to high-fidelity techniques. and/or build design tools to empower a design team;
- Implement best practices in fluid, mobile-first response design for web-based tool ;
- Analyze user feedback and actively look to iterate/improve user experience;
- Facilitate design and review sessions with the product team to convey UX principles;
- Provide UI/UX mock-ups and wireframes/storyboards for product managers;
- Develop front end of web-based tool for SCeNe Coalition and website architecture.
- Launch, iterate and make an improvement for web-based tool Provide front-end coding expertise, and be ready to make our products better for our users;
- Conduct required user testing, the A/B testing process, associated metrics for success and helping shape user experience in web-based tool
- Support the Tech Lead and Workstream Manager in developing implementation plan related with the tool development.
- Support Tech Lead and Workstream Manager in training and socialization on the use of platform for key stakeholders
- Organize focus group discussions to gather the data needed to develop the tool as well as to test and evaluate the usability of the tool.
- Coordinate with external service providers and assure the quality of the delivered products.
What You Will Need
- Legally able to work in Indonesia
- Bachelor’s degree with 3+ years work experience in Design, Fine Arts, Engineering or related field
- Have previous experience as a UI/UX Engineer as well as a strong portfolio of related projects
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (specifically Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop)
- Proficient in prototyping/wireframe tools such as Sketch, InVision, proto.io etc.
- Basic understanding in common stacks for software development
- Strong attention to detail and have a keen eye for aesthetics;
- Business proficiency on communication skills and can clearly articulate your ideas, designs, and suggestions;
- Strong team player who can collaborate effectively with different stakeholder;
- Eagerness to learn, to help, to share knowledge;
- Develop well-functioning and efficient back-end system of web-based tool
- Develop well-functioning and efficient front-end system of web-based tool
- Develop a website for SCeNe Coalition as one of platform to intregate the tool and cross-platform information
Period of Contract
February – December 2023 with possibility of extension subject to individual performance evaluation, project needs, and budget availability.
Terms of Payment
Daily-rate based Consultant with maximum 18 (eighteen) working days per month.
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 (DKI Jakarta local time), 12 February 2023. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.