Project Associate (Data Analyst) - Integrated Transport Sustainable Cities & Transport
Project Associate (Data Analyst) - Integrated Transport,Sustainable Cities & Transport
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being. The India Resources Trust has a license from WRI to use the trademark “WRI India”.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
What are we Looking for?
Mobility in Indian cities is transforming, impacting the way people move and make their travel choices. While transit agencies are investing to establish intelligent systems to provide world-class services to the citizens, new technology-based mobility services are emerging to cater to individual demand-based trips. Usage of technology to provide transport services has increased the pace, the quality and the quantity of data collected on mobility patterns in our cities. This expanse of data can underpin transport planning decisions in cities. The key challenge, however, is to aggregate, integrate, analyze and share this data to inform better planning.
WRI India’s Bus Karo Program is designed to engage with the State transport Undertakings (STUs) and other stakeholders to deliberate technical issues to enhance the development of bus systems, build capacity and foster peer to peer learning. Main streaming data-oriented decision making is one of the main approaches.
WRI India is seeking a creative and multi-talented individual to undertake role of Data Analyst – Project Associate to work with WRI India team to support Government and private transport agencies and other stakeholders in adopting data-oriented innovation to promote public transport efficiency, promote innovation and support cities to transit to sustainable transportation.
WRI India is seeking of Data Analyst – Project Associate to support Bus Karo team of Sustainable Cities Program to help Government and private transport agencies and other stakeholders to mainstream data-oriented decision making to enhance their efficiency. With her/his knowledge the Data Analyst will undertake research, prepare analysis and tools to understand and visualize transport data and support towards decision making.
- Collect, organize and clean up relevant datasets from a variety of sources.
- Programming for various analysis, perform linear, non-linear, logistic regression and other mixed models of analysis.
- Create visualizations for easy interpretation of the data for wide range of audiences.
- Support the creation of reports, communication material based on the data analysis and present to stakeholders whenever required.
GIS analysis and modelling
- Prepare GIS models and conduct analysis using various types of data available.
- Undertake remote sensing and feed into analysis.
- Prepare visualization, maps of the GIS data as required by the team.
Research and tools
- Conduct research and formulate tools to process data and derive insights.
- Help analysis across projects, create custom functions, procedures and dashboards for data analysis as per required by the team.
- Attend interactions with Government and other stakeholders to understand their requirements.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Masters/Bachelor’s degree in statistics, computer science and/or economics is required; background in public policy preferred.
- 3-4 years’ experience in data science and policy analysis or related areas of work, with strong analytical abilities.
- Experience with coding, particularly Python, R, Java script; knowledge of statistical languages such as Stata, SPSS.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/web-mapping, particularly ESRI ArcGIS software, AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of Remote Sensing.
- Experience with Google Earth Engine.
- Sound knowledge of spatial analytics and modelling.
- Knowledge of National Urban Information Services (NUIS, India) data classification standards and open data standards.
- Experience of working in and knowledge of the transport sector in India and the evolving transport landscape.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to manage multiple tasks across different teams, and take initiative to get things done.
- Demonstrated writing ability to communicate complex ideas in well-organized, everyday language.
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Bangalore/ Mumbai, India
Duration: Full-time regular
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.