Associate - Climate
Associate - Climate, WRI India
Who we are and what we do?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Climate Program Overview
At WRI India’s Climate Program we focus on integrated solutions to enable India’s low carbon transition. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we access what climate policies could enable clean energy transition, what action will enable urban transition and how the outcomes can be just and equitable.
Working at WRI India Climate program offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across India. We seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded, and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
WRI India is seeking a Project Associates for its Climate Program. The selected candidates will contribute to the team’s work on modelling low-carbon development pathways for India using the Energy Policy Simulator (EPS) or the Green Economy Model (GEM), both systems dynamics computer models built in the simulation software ‘Vensim’. Both models include the energy, industry, transport, buildings and agriculture/land sectors, and enable an integrated assessment of climate policies in these sectors, along with their macroeconomic implications, such as effects on investment, economic growth and employment. While the EPS models the energy, industry, transport, buildings sectors in detail, we are developing the GEM for better representation of land and other natural resource use, as well as to understand distributional implications of climate policies on different population subgroups.
How your day will unfold:
The Project Associates will undertake a range of tasks as listed below.
• Understand the structure of the EPS (and/or GEM), its outputs, and input datasets by going through the model input files (in Excel) or code (in Vensim) and reading model documentation.
• Update or complete gaps in model documentation, as necessary.
• Scan websites of government agencies and other institutions to find relevant data for the models’ input datasets and keep track of latest developments in climate policy.
• Use the model(s) to create climate policy scenarios for India and/or make updates to the model(s) in consultation with the team and external experts.
• Organize online events, workshops and stakeholder consultations on modelling analyses.
• Contribute to writing analytical results in the form of blogs, policy briefs and reports.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
• A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, Environmental/Climate Science or a related subject, along with at least 2 years of relevant work experience.
• Ability to communicate fluently (oral and written) in English and present complex information in a simple, clear, and concise manner.
• Patience and careful attention to detail.
• Familiarity with Vensim or Python will be an advantage.
• Familiarity with climate policy in India will be an advantage.
Salary and Benefits: INR 8,00,000 to INR 9,00,000
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 2 years (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: Delhi/Bangalore/Mumbai, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
- A writing sample (no more than 1000 words; preferably on a climate policy related topic for a general audience)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.