Consultant: P4G Ethiopia Liaison – Short Term engagement, Ethiopia
This position is a limited-term position through December 2022 with the possibility of extension. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission for the country office designated. WRI is not able to sponsor work authorization for this position.
Program Overview P4G – Partnering for Green Growth and the Global Goals 2030 – is a global initiative that brings together business, government, and civil society organizations in innovative public-private partnerships. We focus on breakthrough solutions that help our partner countries meet their climate commitments under the Paris Agreement and their Sustainable Development Goals in five key areas: food and agriculture, water, energy, cities and circular economy. P4G supports innovative partnerships to become global models for sustainable solutions. In addition, through global convening moments such as the P4G Summit, we showcase the most innovative partnerships driving sustainable development in the world. We currently work with 12 partner countries: Bangladesh, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Kenya, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea, South Africa, and Vietnam. P4G has five partner organizations, namely the Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40), Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI), International Finance Corporation (IFC), World Economic Forum (WEF), and World Resources Institute (WRI).
P4G is managed by a Global Hub hosted by WRI, and is overseen by a Board of Directors and Executive Committee. Each partner country establishes a National Platform to engage relevant country stakeholders and progress partnerships. Ethiopia is a founding member of P4G since the launch of the Global P4G in 2017, P4G Ethiopia. The Ethiopian P4G National Platform was formed and hosted by the former Ethiopian Commission for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (EFCCC). The National Platform led by the Commission together with the Global P4G Hub has facilitate the last four rounds of annual P4G call for partnerships which resulted engagement of various P4G partnerships in the country that support Ethiopia’s transition towards an inclusive and greener economy within the five key P4G SDG focus areas of food and agriculture, water, energy, cities and circular economy. Currently the P4G National Platform secretariat is hosted by the Ethiopian Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and the Platform co-chaired together with the Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations (ECCSA).
Summary WRI intends to award a short-term P4G Liaison contract for approximately four months to support the Global P4G program and the Ethiopia’s P4G National Platform joint plans, including outreach to key stakeholders in government and the private sector, support for existing P4G partnerships in country, and the development of potential innovative private-public partnerships aligned with P4G’s funding criteria and the National Platform’s priorities for sustainable development. This work will traverse engagement and project management activities. The ideal candidate is someone versed in both the private and public sectors. The candidate must have working papers to work in Ethiopia. The consultancy is for short-term period to undertake the work for the remaining of P4G Phase 1 ending in 2022, with a possibility of extension in P4G Phase 2, beginning in 2023.
Scope of Work: The consultant will support the Global P4G Hub and the Ethiopian NP priority plans while investing more time to mobilizing the private sector, businesses and the financial sector for origination, development and acceleration of P4G partnerships in the country through closely working and supporting the full engagement of the private co-chair the Ethiopian Chamber of Commerce and Sectoral Associations (ECCSA) to the NP role.
The Country P4G Engagement:
- Support the P4G Hub and country’s National Platform programmatic engagement. Serve as primary contact between the National Platform, P4G partnerships and Global Hub.
- Work with the NP’s Secretariat and focal of the NP co-chairs, in P4G National workshops and activities to increase engagement and knowledge of P4G in the country’s public and private sectors and green growth actors
- Work with the National Platform to develop annual P4G country work plan and action plan aligned with global work plan
- Liaise with other member countries Embassies and with P4G partner organizations to build the P4G network in the partner country
- Support the National Platform to further the development of investment agenda in country and SDG financing.
Coordinate country participation in P4G events such as:
- P4G Summit, Board meetings, partnerships community of learning workshops.
- Prepare relevant documents for NP to engage in Phase 2 and manage through transitions (eg, MOUs, recommitment letters, briefing materials for new country board members and/or focal points
- Represent P4G in regional events relevant to P4G.
- Facilitate successful P4G mission trips to the country.
- Develop a new partnership pipeline and Plan and work with the NP secretariat, co-chairs, and P4G stakeholders in the country and oversee and accelerate existing P4G partnerships based upon national priorities and plans
- Develop new partnerships pipeline
- Support the National Platform in convening workshops to promote the P4G Partnership Fund call for proposals.
- Plan and develop strategy to source partnerships from the ECCSA network and facilitate proposal development that are fit for P4G and national priorities
- Originate 2-4 high potential prospective partnerships and technically support their concept note and business plan development, including their financial and investment plans and building a solid commercial business model
- Accelerate existing P4G partnerships Provide program management and oversight of selected P4G partnerships existing in the country
- Plan and coordinate acceleration events for priority existing partnerships
- Facilitate the National Platform meeting with all current partnerships for progress evaluation and identifying required support to partnerships
- Facilitate P4G’s outreach and advice to partnerships even beyond P4G funding, and connect to alternative investors and/or funding sources.
Main Deliverables/Outputs The Country P4G Engagement: Deliverables:
TBD based on NP Action Plan and can include:
- Recommitment of NP co-chairs and stakeholders including in the public and private sector (business associations, corporates, entrepreneur networks and financial intrusions) to the National Platform plans;
- The country P4G annual work plan and action plan for 2023. Build the P4G stakeholders network in the country.
- Recommitment letters, briefing materials and facilitations for the country board members and/or focal points engagement to the Global P4G events.
- Country representation in global high-level events, Country representation in P4G Board meetings and relevant events
- Successful P4G Mission Trips to country
- P4G national workshop on the P4G call for partnership funding.
- Update reports to Global Hub and the National Platform on active P4G partnerships in country
- Concept notes development technically supported for 2-4 high potential prospective partnerships submitted by applicants
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience, working on developing, evaluating, financing or implementing business opportunities, with strong background in commercial and investment financing
- Experience working in multi-stakeholder groups, private and public partnership venture, as well as experience working with international development and/or finance agencies
- Postgraduate degree in relevant field, ie. business, finance, international development financing. Additional years of highly relevant experience is accepted in lieu of a postgraduate degree
- Project management experience, ideally in business, policy or sustainable development
- Demonstrated knowledge or expertise in one or more of P4G’s technical sectors, preferably in renewable energy sector
- Experience working in challenging, cross-sectoral, multi-cultural, fast-paced environments and ability to work independently are a must
- Superb interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collegially with others and with the highest standards of integrity
- Excellent communications and organizational skills required
- Fluency in both English and host country language in written and oral communications required.
- Commitment to P4G Partnership’s mission, values, and approach regarding climate issues.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, and proposed pricing. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills, and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include integrity, innovation, urgency, independence, and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.