Social Media Specialist, Science Based Targets initiative
This position is remote-eligible and only for consideration within the United States where WRI is state registered. Existing work authorization is required at the time of application submission. WRI is unable to sponsor any visa work sponsorship for this position.
About the Program:
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) is a global body enabling businesses to set ambitious emissions reductions targets in line with the latest climate science. It is focused on accelerating companies across the world to halve emissions before 2030 and achieve net-zero emissions before 2050. Science-based targets show companies how much and how quickly they need to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to prevent the worst effects of climate change.
The Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi): • Defines and promotes best practice in emissions reductions and net-zero targets in line with climate science. • Provides technical assistance and expert resources to companies who set science-based targets in line with the latest climate science. • Brings together a team of experts to provide companies with independent assessment and validation of targets.
You will manage online communities and deliver campaigns on LinkedIn and Twitter, leveraging a range of engaging content, approaches and tools; you will also communicate complex technical information and data clearly and impactfully. You will be supported by the Digital Communications Officer, and you will report to the Senior Digital and Content Manager of the SBTi.
What you will do:
Social media management (30% time)
- Lead, manage and grow the SBTi’s social media channels (currently LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube) to drive continued growth in the uptake of science-based targets, grow the SBTi’s profile, project our expertise and protect and enhance our reputation
- Ensure delivery of a proactive and relevant social media plan, with high levels of daily Twitter activity and daily LinkedIn posts
Community management (30% time)
- Build and maintain a vibrant community, ensuring high levels of engagement and responsiveness with users
- Moderate social media channels by responding to questions and developing discussions
Strategy, planning and evaluation (20% time)
- Co-develop and implement the SBTi’s social media strategy to support the overarching communications and business strategies
- Explore new channels and creative approaches to engage new audiences
- Develop, implement and evaluate social media campaigns in support of specific SBTi projects, services and launches and aligned to wider communications activities and business priorities
- Leverage analytics data to measure impact, learn and improve
Content (20% time)
- Leverage the SBTi brand, expertise, knowledge and data to create engaging content that informs, supports and encourages our audiences about our work and the value of setting science-based targets
- Establish a distinctive voice and style that is commensurate to our mission, ambition and reputation
What you will need:
- Education: You have a completed Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience: You have 3+ years of experience managing social media channels, content and campaigns within a busy media, communications, or marketing department.
- Experience with developing, monitoring and evaluating high-profile integrated social media strategies that have helped achieve organizational objectives.
- Experience growing and maintaining strong supporter bases or networks across a range of social media channels
- Experience with generating high levels of engagement with followers – particularly on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Adapt at developing/commissioning creative and compelling multimedia content, including videos, graphics, lives, etc.
- Experience creating engaging moments on social media such as takeovers, live Q&As,
- Experience developing relationships with key social influencers that have helped achieved campaigns, communications, or organizational objectives
- Knowledge of best practices, ways of working, processes, and systems for social media work
- Experience translating complex information and data into compelling social content
- Languages: Verbal proficiency and written English required.
- Requirements: Existing work authorization is required where this position is
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors. WRI offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume with cover letter by the date of December 9th You must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary
- Access to the WRI global network with the opportunity to exchange with and learn from passionate colleagues working at the cutting edge of their fields across Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America and the US.
- The chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organisation with access to varied learning and training opportunities.
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work.
- The opportunity to join and get involved in different working groups and affinity groups to shape the future of WRI.
- Commitment to hybrid working model with flexible working hours.
- Generous leave days that increase with tenure.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organisation that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organisational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognising our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.