World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually-driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
As the accounting intern, you will support the Accounting Department with daily accounting operations including data entry, expense review, timesheets, accounts payable, reconciliations and other administrative and communication activities. You will learn accounting processes including accounts payable, reconciliation, expense reports, month end closing and other aspects of accounting. You will have an opportunity to learn Costpoint accounting system, concur expenses reporting system, payment processing system and timesheet system.
The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
- Review and update vendor information in accounting system
- Assist with accounting system integration projects
- Assist with general accounting month-end closing procedures
- Assist with project audit
- Assist with the preparation of ad hoc and other internal reports/analysis
- Complete special projects as needed and other duties assigned
- Pursuing or completed bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong quantitative communication (written and verbal) skills
- Demonstrated problem solver and trouble shooter
- Interpersonal skills: customer service orientation
- Computer skills: advanced proficiency in spreadsheets, Excel and other MS Office applications
- Comfortable interning remotely
General Internship Requirements
- Applicants must have personal health insurance coverage.
- US work authorization is required for this opportunity. WRI does not sponsor interns for visas.
Compensation: This a paid internship.
This is a full-time, three month remote internship.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.