Consultant - Energy Access, WRI India
Consultant - Energy Access, WRI India
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Energy
The objective of the WRI India energy program is to inform and guide India’s transition to cleaner energy. The program focuses on three inter-related aspects of this energy transition: enhancing energy access, scaling renewables among specific consumer categories, and achieving higher levels of energy and buildings efficiency. Our energy access work is specifically aimed at ensuring access to affordable and clean energy so as to improve socio-economic development in rural and remote regions of India. Through strong research, ground-level implementation experience, partnerships with key stakeholders and communicating our work, we seek to achieve impact at scale.
WRI India is seeking a Project Associate in Jharkhand, for the Energy Access work housed in the Energy Program in India. With his/her knowledge of the energy access landscape in India, the Project Associate will support the vision of WRI to improve access to reliable, affordable and sustainable energy for all.
WRI India has a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity. The energy access work focuses on states where there continues to be unserved and under-served demand.
To expand the energy access work, WRI India is working with development partners who operate in remote rural areas where access to electricity is limited. WRI India helps them identify the challenges, design the roadmap to implement the solutions and helps assess the impact of clean energy solutions. The interventions with the partners will feed into the scaling up efforts for reducing energy poverty and achieving development outcomes. The Project Associate will join a team of highly motivated individuals across multiple states, including members of WRI India’s senior leadership, to support the energy access work.
The Project Associate will be based in Jharkhand. The main areas of responsibility will include the following:
- Supporting the existing team in liaising with government for consultations to improve access to reliable, sustainable and affordable sources of energy
- Organizing site visits and working on logistics for planning the site visits – including trip planning
- Playing an integral role in collecting data for expanding energy access opportunities in the state
- Supporting the team working on energy assessments for developing sustainable energy solutions at institutional level
- Engaging with partners for capacity building across the healthcare, education and livelihood sectors.
- Performing other tasks as assigned by the Energy Access Lead and Energy Program Director in India
Qualifications and Skills
- Degree in engineering/ energy-related discipline or developmental studies with at least two-three years of relevant experience in Jharkhand.
- Experience of working with government agencies in the past in Jharkhand.
- Self-motivated, having confidence and independence to take initiatives, with the awareness and judgement to seek help when needed
- Strong commitment to and understanding of the energy access and development space
- Good communications skills for communicating with the team and external stakeholders
- Willingness to engage with the team members in India with a strong sense of respect for the team
- Willingness to travel to remote locations within states on a regular basis and on short notice
- Ability to organize demanding schedules and logistics around travel for work
- Fluency in Hindi is a must, knowledge of English and Local dialects is preferable
Duration: 1 Year (extendable subject to conditions)
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae of no more than 2 A4 sized pages detailing academic and relevant professional experience.
- Names and contact details of three referees who can attest to the capabilities of the applicant.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.