Research Associate (ENERGY TRANSITIONS), WRI India
Research Associate (ENERGY TRANSITIONS), Chennai India
What is WRII?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI globally, has deep experience in the energy sector and on climate change across several topic areas and is widely recognized as a leader on energy and climate issues. In India, we have a multi-pronged energy strategy that looks strategically at directing our tools, research, expertise, and partnerships to support India’s clean energy transition, and in ensuring universal access to reliable, affordable and sustainable electricity.
The Energy program at WRI India is seeking a Research Associate (ENERGY TRANSITIONS) to work with and support research focused on India’s energy transition, with a specific focus initially on Tamil Nadu.
The Research Associate (ENERGY TRANSITIONS) will be part of a focused team; with the following responsibilities.
- Developing, building and maintaining energy sector models and databases to track the energy scenario initially in Tamil Nadu with the possibility of working across different regions in India
- Support the team with appropriate analysis of the TN energy sector using the models
- Support the team in conducting policy research and analysis of existing and emerging programs, policies and regulatory areas related to energy and electricity starting with Tamil Nadu and then to other states
- Lead specific modules in the project as identified by the Energy Lead
- Support in collating information and knowledge about major policy reform processes, consultations and measures on states’ energy and development sector policies, and identify opportunities for the team to provide inputs to the processes, consultations and measures.
- Analyze and monitor the implementation of national and state energy policies, regulations and laws in Tamil Nadu subsequently in other states
- Participate in research projects to produce policy /issue briefs, and other publications and reports (online and print)
- Assist in the development of policy recommendations for research and projects of the energy team
- Assist in the development of policy linkages between energy sector and other sectors, such as sustainable cities, water, agriculture, climate and socio-economic development.
- Visit key state energy agencies, attend civil society and academic convening and discussions and participate in important energy policy fora and represent WRIs research, analysis and point of view at these fora.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Energy lead, including support on research and analysis.
- Appropriate Master’s degree in any energy, engineering or development related discipline
- At least five years of relevant experience in energy sector
- Demonstrable experience in energy/power sector modeling and computational skills
- Strong commitment to and understanding of the environmental and socio-economic development movement and sustainability issues
- Fluency in English and Hindi. Ability to converse in Tamil will be an added advantage
- Foreign nationals applying must have valid permits for work in India.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong research and analytical skills, supported by contribution to publications and research reports
- Experience working with energy/climate models and power sector planning tools is required
- Strong knowledge of quantitative research methods, optimization techniques, and modelling tools that demonstrate the same
- Knowledge of the electricity sector, power policy development processes and governmental functioning is necessary
- Proficiency in software programs like Python, R, Stata is an added advantage
- Willingness to learn new tools and modelling techniques to contribute to the on-going/new research projects
- Some knowledge of international development, global energy and climate policy issues is necessary
- Be pro-active in researching and pitching ideas, maintaining connections with policy makers, government agencies and media contacts
- Good communications skill supported by a portfolio of articulations, e.g., writings and speaking engagements related to energy policy
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and effectively in conversation and writing, including professional quality writing for policy and communications products
- Strong ability to brainstorm and think creatively about all elements of their work.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others; to demonstrate flexibility in fulfilling assignments.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Chennai, India
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.