Manager- Editorial media and communications
Manager – Editorial, media & Communications
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
The WRI India Communications Manager will be a key member of the Integrated Urban Planning team part of WRI India’s Ross Centre for Sustainable Cities team. The candidate is expected to work in coordination with WRI India’s core communications team. The role involves developing and managing media relations through regular outreach activities, and by facilitating the coverage of WRI India updates, activities, events, position and viewpoints. The candidate is expected to be social media savvy and should be able to use social media to enhance the outreach of the communication. The position is based in Mumbai, India.
The candidate will be responsible for liaising with the Indian and international news media – print, electronic and online media. The primary role entails:
- Identifying key messages from each of the events and publications of WRI India and packaging and pitching stories to various media outlets.
- Liaising regularly with the mainstream English news media outlets to promote WRI India’s mission, values and programs effectively.
- Writing and issuing press releases, statements, communiques and ‘reactive’ as required, in addition to ideating, facilitating and editing op-eds for external publication.
- Offering media intelligence to the program team and mapping the media opportunities to showcase WRI India’s programmatic work in the mainstream media.
- Liaising with regional and language news media, in Delhi as well as the states and regions where WRI India is active.
- Coordinating with the digital communications team to ensure that WRI India news coverage is promptly and systematically shared on the organization’s social media platforms, websites and in any newsletters, recap mailers or staff updates.
- Creating and maintaining a database of international, national, regional and language (where WRI India is active) journalists, with clear and updated information on their beats, areas of interest, work location and contact details.
Social Media -
- Elevate WRI’s work on social media platforms, targeted at key national, sub-national and international political moments.
- Spot social media trends relevant to the integrated urban planning work, and work to include our content in nationally trending conversations.
- Collaborate with the core-communications team to disseminate social media messages using official WRI India accounts on Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Identify other social media platforms more appropriate for storytelling and sharing visual communication material such as short video clips, spatial maps and data visualizations.
Event Communications -
- Oversee development of general communications materials related to small and large-scale events, including branding, website, messaging, talking points, PowerPoint slides, and print materials.
- Ensure that all WRI India events follow brand guidelines, working closely with project teams and external vendors for the same.
- Master’s degree in journalism, communications, social or environmental studies, or English language or literature preferred.
- Minimum 7-10 years of full time experience working in any of the following:
- Reporter/Correspondent in print, electronic or online media with experience in covering a beat
- Sub-editor in print or online media
- Media communicator in the social sector or an environmental organization
- Ability to brainstorm creative growth strategies for digital and social media outreach, as well as an understanding of other web best practices and standards.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details, ability to manage multiple tasks across different teams, and take the initiative.
- Proficiency in an additional Indian language would be an added benefit.
- Ability to build and maintain productive relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, technical curiosity, and willingness to learn.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Basic knowledge of design software such as InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Understanding of how websites are built and basic troubleshooting.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 1 year
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter/ Resume
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.