Senior Communications Manager, Sustainable Ocean Initiative
In this role, you will lead strategic outreach efforts for this new initiative to accelerate progress toward a sustainable and healthy ocean. Reporting to the Director, Sustainable Ocean Initiative, you will be part of a global team, leading ocean communications for WRI and its partners.In close coordination with WRI’s global communications team, you will lead in the planning and implementation of ambitious, comprehensive communication strategies, as well as the maintenance of the online presence, social media and related engagement. You will lead both proactive and reactive engagement with global media and will oversee the media related at high level events with globally recognized leaders and their respective communication teams. You will provide vision and leadership for implementing the Ocean Initiative’s comprehensive communications strategy for the overall messages and reputation.
Your work will include developing and implementing communications strategies, coordinating the work of communication professionals around the world, managing media relationships, overseeing publication production processes, and managing products and events, all in close coordination with WRI’s core communications team and experts.
This is a multi-faceted role requiring collaboration with external partners and colleagues across WRI’s global network. If you have a passion for the ocean, environment and development, superb people skills, excellent organizational, writing and communication skills, and strong attention to detail to contribute meaningfully to advancing our mission, this role provides a unique vantage point at a leading think tank.
- Develop communications strategies for external positioning of the Ocean Initiative
- Oversee content for the Ocean website and plan for populating it
- Manage external public relations consultants
- Manage outreach, media relations, and speaking engagement at high-profile events
- Build and foster collaborative relationships with communication experts to encourage global communication efforts around common messages
- Coordinate with research staff across WRI’s programs, centers and international offices to support ocean projects as well as identify opportunities for more impactful collaboration across teams
- Work with WRI Communications team to pitch stories and respond to media inquiries related to ocean topics
- Write and edit material including blog posts, op-eds, e-blasts, speeches, and other compelling communications that serves to translate technical material for various audiences
- Oversee social media accounts and online graphics
- Regularly track and evaluate metrics of success and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results
Education & Experience
- Minimum 7 years of full time relevant professional experience in public relations, journalism, or communications, with a focus on climate, energy, or broader environmental issues
- Masters’ degree, or 2 additional years of experience, in communications, public relations, or related field
- Extensive experience writing, media and social media experience
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other staff and partners
- Highly motivated, proactive work style and excellent organizational skills
- Ability to think creatively and collaboratively about all elements of communications work
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products
- Experience managing and mentoring staff
- Ability to work with high-level, global experts, including representatives from government and business
PLEASE NOTE - THE TITLE FOR THIS POSITION IS COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER, SUSTAINABLE OCEAN INITIATIVE
How to Apply
Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Sustainable Ocean Initiative
WRI’s Sustainable Ocean Initiative is focused on accelerating progress toward a sustainable new Ocean economy and achievement of SDG 14 - the Ocean Goal. The Initiative aims to support efforts to address the numerous challenges the Ocean currently faces and encourage conservation of the marine environment alongside the sustainable use of the marine resources that are so crucial to many countries economic development and human well-being. The Initiative, in partnership with the World Economic Forum, also acts as the Secretariat to the Friends of Ocean Action (www.friendsofoceanaction.org), and the Secretariat to the High-level Panel on Building a Sustainable Ocean Economy in order to develop and articulate a new narrative on what a “Sustainable Ocean Economy” is and how to achieve it.
The WRI-led Secretariat will serve as a hub of globally recognized international research institutions that will provide analytical and solution-development services to the High-level Panel. The core output of this initiative will be a final report from the Panel by mid-2020.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $100 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 800+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.