ASSOCIATE – COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Associate - Communications Co-Ordinator, Early Childhood-Friendly Cities, WRI India Ross Centre
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
The Associate - Communications Coordinator for Early Childhood Friendly Cities (Nurturing Neighbourhoods Challenge) will work closely with the project team and in coordination with WRI India’s Sustainable Cities communications team. The role entails developing and managing communication and outreach initiatives, liaising with partners, and supervising visual elements for on ground and digital initiatives. The selected candidate will report to Project Manager – Early Childhood Friendly Cities.
The primary responsibility of this role is content creation that involves writing, editing, and proof-reading while digital outreach, website maintenance and on-ground event support are additional responsibilities.
We would like a Communications generalist with an interest in early childhood-centric urban development to apply for this position. A candidate with a background on urban development would be preferable.
Excellent English writing, proof reading and editing skills. The candidate must also have some digital content creation experience. Visual design knowledge/interest would be a plus.
- Provide writing, editing and proof-reading support.
- Help team members write blogs and proof/edit to meet WRI India’s standards.
- Write press releases, newsletters, and social media content along with ideating, facilitating, and editing op-eds for external publication. Check for length, language, flow, spelling and grammar.
- Identify and develop people-oriented change stories that would interest various media
- Document on-ground activities visually and through writing – challenges, opportunities and impact.
- Serve as liaison between WRI India communications and program staff to develop program-related communications.
- Manage quality control and ensure timely dissemination of emailers and newsletters.
- Writing and issuing press releases and statements.
Website & Social Media -
- Perform quality control checks on all new and revised content for websites and social media.
- Work closely with WRI India communications staff to ensure that the project team’s news coverage is promptly and systematically shared on the organization’s social media platforms, websites and in any newsletters, recap mailers or for external media outreach.
- Ability to create/supervise simple social media infographics/visuals and disseminate research data in a visually appealing format. Visual communication expertise and knowledge of photo editing software are a plus but not necessary.
- Facilitating webinars that involve digital planning and social media coverage in collaboration with the social media team.
- Contribute to web projects and manage backend updates.
Coordination and Other Responsibilities -
- Communicating and coordinating with partners and other stakeholders.
- Ensuring that all WRI India content disbursed to the media is precise, factual, and legally sound. Also, ensuring WRI India’s branding and style guides are adhered to in all outreach materials.
- Mapping media to specific work and pitching relevant stories in collaboration with the Media lead.
- Identifying key messages and packaging and pitching stories for dissemination.
- On-ground and logistics support for events and workshops and coordinating with local vendors.
- Around 4-5 years of full-time experience working as:
- Media communicator in the social sector or an environmental organization
- Experience of working on urban issues
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English. Knowledge of regional language(s) will be an advantage.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to build and maintain productive relationships internally and externally.
- Capability to communicate complex ideas in well-organized, everyday language.
- Ability to self-manage and meet deadlines, manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, technical curiosity, and willingness to learn.
- Willingness to travel for work at short notice
- Understanding of how websites are built and basic troubleshooting.
- Basic familiarity with design software (Photoshop, InDesign) is an added benefit.
Title: Term Hire (1 year full-time and potentially extendable)
Potential Salary: 7,00,000 to 8,00,000 INR
Start date: At the earliest
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.