Communications and Brand Officer, Science Based Targets Initiative
In this role, you will contribute to strategy, planning, and execution of the communications work of the Science Based Targets initiative. As a member of the SBTi’s core communications team, you will work collaboratively with the initiative’s partner organizations and strategic partners to develop and implement proactive communications strategies to grow brand reputation, improve customer experience and drive growth. You will be responsible for ensuring that the products, services and communications of the initiative clearly position the brand of science-based targets and resonate with current and potential customers by monitoring marketing trends and competitive products in the marketplace. You will write and contribute to content including articles, media releases, blogs and related copy for print, video, and digital media
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restrictions have lifted
- Work as part of the SBTi’s core communications team to create and implement long-term strategic communications plans to improve private sector outreach and dialogue and drive the initiative’s growth across priority sectors and geographies, updating annually
- Formulate and implement marketing and public relations initiatives and activities that resonate with target audiences, including campaigns (print, web, social, media, etc.), events, sponsorships, media marketing strategies and other non-campaign activities.
- Oversee email marketing for the SBTi including drafting and sending the initiative’s regular e-newsletter.
- Support the initiative’s digital presence including website updates
- Monitor delivery of brand direction and recommend areas for improvement, including setting style guides, brand and publication guidelines, templates, and other materials
- Coordinate across teams to ensure high-quality engagement to companies and other stakeholders
- Support implementation of communications strategy by writing and editing articles, media releases, blogs and related copy for print, video, and digital media.
- Provide strategic input and direction for the brand vision and value proposition in the short and long term, monitor market trends
- Support in developing linkages between the Science Based Targets initiative and private sector engagement across WRI
- Manage SBTi communications intern(s) if funding is available
- Three+ years of relevant work experience
- Master's degree (or two+ additional years of full-time relevant work experience)
- Strong communication skills, including written and oral communications
- Understanding of digital platforms and content management
- Graphic design and visual communications experience preferred
- Experience managing a social media account for an organization or brand
- An ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Highly organized and ability to manage multiple projects at the same time
- Experience with HTML and managing websites
- US work authorization is required. WRI cannot provide visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume with a personalized cover letter to be considered. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
WRI's work on Science Based Targets is based in the Center for Sustainable Business. Our Center for Sustainable Business works with companies because they can innovate and scale solutions to our toughest challenges. The work is performed primarily through our role in the Science based Targets initiative (SBTi). The SBTi is a collaboration of CDP, World Resources Institute (WRI), the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), and the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and one of the We Mean Business Coalition commitments. The initiative mobilizes companies to set science-based target setting as a way to create competitive advantage in the transition to the low-carbon economy.
- Showcases companies that set science-based targets through case studies, events and media to highlight the increased innovation, reduced regulatory uncertainty, strengthened investor confidence and improved profitability and competitiveness generated by science-based target setting.
- Defines and promotes best practice in science-based target setting with the support of a Technical Advisory Group
- Offers resources, workshops and guidance to reduce barriers to adoption
- Independently assesses and approves companies’ targets WRI also engages directly with companies to provide advisory services on setting science-based targets.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.