Cognos BI Analyst / Financial Report writer, Operations
Cognos BI Analyst / Financial Report writer, Operations
What is WRI?
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 400 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
In this role, you will support the Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team and report to the Senior Finance Manager. You will be responsible for maintaining the budgeting system and assuring the data is updated and accurate. You will be responsible for maintaining the financial reports through WRI’s web-based solution, create new reports for users and web-based dashboards.
You will work with the Senior Finance Manager to lead projects in the following activities:
Report Writing (80%)
- Monitor and assure financial reports are up to date; work with users to develop new reports; Standardize reports, both in template and formatting. You will use the IBM Cognos BI web-based solution for professional reports as well as research using other areas of the IBM Cognos BI suite to improve financial performance tracking and monitoring
- Responsible for developing enterprise dashboards and reports using IBM Cognos BI report builder to meet the needs of stakeholders and assist users to develop their own financial dashboards
- Analyze complex business problems and issues using data from internal and external sources to provide insight to analysts and decision makers
- Create specifications for reports and analysis based on business needs and required or available data elements
- Develop deep understanding of the databases, identify appropriate data sources, relationships and logic needed to produce consistently reliable reports
- Provide support to end-users through instruction and functional knowledge transfer, training, and perform recurring reporting reviews with stakeholders to walk through opportunities for improvement based upon reporting insights
- Assist in developing and maintaining data standards
- Familiar with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures
- Participate in the development of the reporting roadmap as means to ensure the organization has the proper reporting software and infrastructure
- Maintain knowledge of new product capabilities as means to identify potential improvement opportunities
Other Responsibilities (20%)
- Maintain and update the budget system using its processes to keep information synced with the project ERM
- Work with the Senior Finance Manager and external consultants to resolve issues in the IBM Cognos TM1 system
- Develop and deliver training for employees in WRI and its affiliated partners on financial and operational systems and processes
- Support the FP&A team in the annual and quarterly financial reviews with programs, departments, and country offices that are coordinated by the FP&A team, analyzing and documenting minutes, follow up, and trends
- Support the Global Finance Director and the CFOO in various ad hoc reporting and presentations using PowerPoint, Power BI (or other data visualization tools), Excel, and Word
- Assist the CFOO office and FP&A team in various analyses and scenarios related to financial and operational needs
- Master's degree and 5 years of experience in business, finance or related field
- Experience with ERP systems, specifically Deltek Costpoint
- Experience with IBM Cognos reporting tools (version 10.2+), specifically Report Studio and Cognos Workspace, experience with complex reports in IBM Cognos BI suite
- Preferred knowledge in SQL language
- Experience in analysis of financial data: accounting, budgeting, and planning
- Experience with cost budgeting and financial reporting systems management preferable
- Experience writing financial reports with accounting data
- Familiarity with visual analytic dashboards (Power BI, Tableau)
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office suite of tools
- Excellent mathematical skills and analytically-minded
- Strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Experience training others at multiple levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills and passionate to work with people across all levels and with different cultures
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities
- Maintain high standards of self-performance, remaining focused on work completion
- Ability to work both independently and with the team
- Creative thinker, willingness to roll up sleeves and find a solution
- Commitment to WRI’s mission and values
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 24 Months
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.