Intern – Energy
Intern – Energy, Chennai
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
WRI India is seeking an intern for its Energy Program. Our Sustainable Energy Transitions work is to support research focused on India’s energy transition, with a specific focus initially on Tamil Nadu.
The intern will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities for the energy team as are listed below.
- Mining and collating electricity related data from secondary sources, reorganizing data in a standardised format that can be read by either human or machine
- Creating appropriate documentation that allows stakeholders to understand the steps of the data analysis process and duplicate or replicate the analysis if necessary
- Using statistical tools to interpret data sets, identify trends and patterns that could be valuable for the project’s diagnostic and predictive analytics efforts
- Sharpen insights by complementing secondary research with working closely with project team and conducting stakeholder consultations to validate above mentioned findings.
Required Attributes and Credentials:
- Completed/ongoing Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, or Statistics, Data Science, Analytics
- Work/Project experience in data mining, evaluation, analysis, and visualization
- Experience of using programming languages and tools like Python, R, Stata, Tableau, SAS, Macro functions in Excel for analysing and interpreting data.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in technical report writing and delivering presentations.
- Attention to detail and creative problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrate prior experience/knowledge about the energy sector, especially clean energy transitions
- Building and maintaining energy databases to track the power sector scenario in different states/regions in India.
The internship will be for a period of 3 months starting July 1 or earlier. Extension can be mutually agreed upon depending on the quantum of work and other commitments that the intern may have.
Location: Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
To Apply :
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.