Analyst Sustainable Commodities
About WRI Indonesia
WRI Indonesia is a national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country focusing on forests and land use
about the position
One of WRI Indonesia’s key objective is to promote better land use management through One Map initiative. We believe that through an open, accountable, and participatory land use management, Indonesia can protect its remaining natural forests while allowing sustainable development of key land-based commodities.
WRI Indonesia commodities team work together with the government of Indonesia to improve plantation licenses database, thus allow
Through continuous research and development with our partners, WRI Indonesia commodities team is actively improving global deforestation monitoring system to enable buyers & growers of key commodities—such as palm oil, pulp
The position offered in this Terms of
The position will report to the Sustainable Commodities & Business Manager of WRI Indonesia, coordinate with WRI Indonesia One Map initiative team and WRI global sustainable commodities team. The work will span for 1 year with travel responsibilities,
Main areas of responsibility
Program management (25%)
- Support the management of sustainable commodities projects and implementation of
workplanin Indonesia, this includes the One Map initiative, the Accountability Framework initiative, and Global Forest Watch Commodities;
- Support the development of projects’
workplan, budget, and reporting together with WRI Indonesia Sustainable Commodities & Business Manager;
- Support the development of funding proposal related to sustainable commodities portfolio;
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of sustainable commodities projects and ensure the timely delivery of projects’ output;
- Coordinate with WRI Indonesia Operation team to ensure projects’ implementation are delivered in accordance with WRI Indonesia policies and regulations.
Outreach and stakeholders engagement (40%)
- Identification of key stakeholders related to sustainable commodities portfolio (grower and trader of commodities, FMCG companies, banks, government, development partners);
- Strategic engagement with key stakeholders to advance the adoption and implementation of sustainability commitment within key commodities supply chain (palm oil, timber, pulp & paper, rubber);
- Support the development of WRI Indonesia sustainable commodities engagement strategy together with the commodities team;
- Support the development of WRI Indonesia sustainable commodities outreach strategy together with the communication team to build awareness around issues surrounding key commodities production, potential solution, and possible call-to-action for
- Support and conduct
trainingsfor key stakeholders (mostly private sector and local government) on WRI Indonesia tools related to sustainable commodities (such as GFW Pro, Landscape Monitoring), as well as other relevant materials;
- Support WRI Indonesia commodities team in engagement with project partners and funders to ensure the implementation and reporting of projects’ goals are well documented and communicated;
- Coordinate with WRI’s global commodities team to advance the narrative around sustainable commodities;
- Support Sustainable Commodities & Business Manager in representing WRI Indonesia in relevant international, national, and local events related to sustainable commodities portfolio
- Conduct research and analysis on issues related
withsustainable commodities; this includes but not limited to deforestation, land use policies and regulation, supply chain management;
researchpipeline on the area of sustainable commodities, in coordination with WRI Indonesia commodities team;
- Develop knowledge products (blogs, opinion piece, working paper, and other publication materials) in topics related to sustainable commodities together with WRI Indonesia commodities team;
- Actively contribute to WRI Indonesia’s research activities, in particular for topics related to sustainable commodities.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia;
- Minimum of 2 years of
progressiveprofessional work experience in development and project implementation, preferably in environment or land use topics;
- Bachelor’s degree in related fields (environmental science, forestry, public policy, development, or other related fields;
- Ability to communicate clearly and compellingly to a wide range of audiences, both in Indonesian and English.
- Candidate must be self-motivated, detail-oriented and organized thinker with an ability to juggle multiple priorities, handle assignments independently, and work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to do frequent travel.
- Graduate’s degree or advanced course in related fields;
- Published article, working paper, or journal related to the area of land use or sustainable commodities;
- Excellent understanding of Indonesia’s land use issues and policies;
Strongnetwork of relationships with key stakeholders of land-based industries (grower and trader companies, FMCG companies, banks, relevant government agencies, relevant development partners);
- Responsibilities are expected to be carried out in
timelyand satisfactory fashion with minor supervision;
- Must be capable of setting priorities;
- Ability to work well with internal and external participants;
- Good writing and communication skills for correspondence purposes, reports, and knowledge products, both in Indonesian and English;
- Ability to work well in group/team as well as working individually;
- Ability & willingness to do business travel to meet project goals.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous, comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified applicants should apply online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
Application close: 1700 (Jakarta Time), 25 January 2019. We will close the advert earlier when best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.