Social Media Marketing Intern, Clean Air Catalyst
As the Social Media Marketing intern, you will support the launch of social media channels for the Clean Air Catalyst (cleanaircatalyst.org), a global partnership focused on accelerating clean air solutions in our current project cities, Indore, India, and Jakarta, Indonesia. This position will focus primarily on social media strategy and content, digital engagement, email marketing, and data analytics--working on multiple platforms, including Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. You may help with creating data visuals, presentation decks, drafting web content, organizing webinars and virtual events, and performing Square Space website updates.
Internship Learning Outcomes:
The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
- Digital Media Strategies – responsible for helping to create a social media strategy, content ideas and production schedule for a new global partnership to accelerate clean air solutions around the world
- Data and graphic design skills – to create compelling, multi-media online content and presentation decks
- Project management – supporting online and social media communications with scheduling and analytics management
- Writing and editing – to generate clear and compelling text for various communications channels
- Knowledge of digital media landscape in our project cities
- Senior undergraduate student or freshly graduated undergraduate or graduate student (preferably students from Communication Studies, Public Relations, and/or other sustainability-related studies)
- Familiarity with air quality, climate, public health and/or international development issues
- Knowledge of global media landscape, particularly in India, Indonesia and/or East Africa
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Knowledge of social media platforms and web design
- Excellent research, writing and verbal skills
- Experience in graphic design and/or data visualization using Flourish or similar design tools
- Highly responsible, self-motivated
- Ability to shoot, edit and produce social videos a plus
- Proficiency in Hindi or Bahasa a plus
The pay range for this internship opportunity is between $15-18/hour, commensurate with qualifications.
Duration and Location
- This is a part-time, 15 hours per week, 6-months internship with flexible start and end dates based on the student’s availability and need for the project.
- This is a remote-based internship with the option to work out of the Washington D.C. office once it reopens.
- WRI will provide a laptop for the duration of your internship.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
Program Overview (for Internship):
The program has three main areas of work:
WRI’s Air Quality program is a global initiative that seeks to identify, build awareness of, and eliminate the root causes of air pollution that damages climate, human, and ecosystem health.
- engagement with city stakeholders to use participatory science to diagnose and develop targeted, cost-effective clean air solutions to protect human health and climate,
- working with the science community to convert innovative methods into tools and products that communities and policymakers can use to better manage their impact on the atmosphere, and
- working with national governments and business networks to design and implement broader regional-to-global air quality governance.
It is a part of the WRI Ross Center on Sustainable Cities, with additional oversight from the Data Lab and engagement with Climate, Governance, Energy, and other programs at WRI. The team is global, with senior experts distributed across WRI’s network of international offices. This position will focus in particular on the Clean Air Catalyst, a USAID-funded partnership (Cooperative Agreement) that WRI is leading with EDF and includes seven global atmospheric science, public health, media, and policy partners. It works in three pilot regions with WRI international offices and local partners to test and refine a three-part data to action methodology for improving air quality and delivering climate and development co-benefits.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender, racial, and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.