Consultant - Urban Development
Consultant – Urban Development, Sustainable Cities &Transport, Kochi
What is WRII?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organisation with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
WRI India is seeking a Consultant for the ‘Reimagining Fort Kochi’ project at WRI India Ross Center for Sustainable Cities. The candidate should be passionate about urban design and self-driven towards influencing positive change in the real world. The candidate will be involved in leading the work on assigned projects related to planning and design of Urban development projects in Kochi city. This includes project research, liaising with partners, government agencies and experts, undertaking analysis and synthesis of solutions towards project deliverables. The Consultant will develop deep understanding of the urban development subject and help the team identify impactful positive changes that need to be achieved in the context of current urbanization. The Consultant should be articulate in communicating verbally, in writing and through drawings. The candidate should be energetic and agile, willing to learn and respond quickly, outcome-oriented, team player and able to engage with partners and stakeholders. The Consultant will also assist the Urban Development team in various other projects or tasks as required from time to time.
The Person We Are Looking For:
WRI is seeking a creative and multi-talented candidate for position of Consultant to undertake studies on urban development and design at Kochi. Reporting to the Senior Project Associate, Urban Development, you will lead projects and research work that will influence positive transformation of urban areas in the country. The projects will include working with governments, professionals, private sector, civic groups and other stakeholders to formulate urban planning and urban design interventions focused on solving the problems in a city and can be scaled-up in other contexts. You will consider issues of sustainable development, livability, equity and access as a basic tenet to solve the problems. You will engage with governments and private stakeholders to collect base material and details to help towards conducting project work.
WRI globally, has deep experience in urban development and is widely recognized as a leader in promoting sustainable cities. Currently, WRI India is helping various government and private agencies undertake research on best practices and innovation in integrated planning, development and management of cities. The urban development projects you will be involved in will help further these goals.
Co-ordination of project work
- Under the supervision of project lead, manage and anchor all the project deliverables related work as per standards and expectations of WRI India.
- Prepare technical documents for projects including data collection, conduct surveys, compilation, analysis, write reports and develop presentations.
- Coordinate with State and Local government agencies, private companies, local communities, experts, NGOs etc. to get inputs for projects.
- Edit reports, prepare drawings, general graphics and infographics, etc.
- Support WRI India in identifying and undertaking new projects related to urban development as required by the team.
Communications and partnership
- Communicate closely with WRI India internal team members towards meeting objectives of the project and constant progress reporting.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings regarding projects, make presentations and assist in conducting stake holder consultations.
- Support the preparation of internal and external communications and media such as blogs, articles, brochures and web content.
- Support documentation, development of process guides, toolkits and/or adapt existing ones
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Post-graduation in urban design/ urban planning/ city planning or related field
- Minimum Master’s degree and at least 2 years of full-time work experience in relevant field, with experience in project formulation and management
- Basic understanding of placemaking and community design (building, street, and public space types plus associated principles)
- Familiarity with Indian urban development paradigms, policies, general awareness of environment and climate change
- Demonstrated creative ability, including urban, architectural, and graphic design. Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Good visual conceptual skills and experience with sophisticated design software programs.
- Community and stakeholder engagement capabilities
- Development and execution of design ideas along with final production of deliverables
- Flexible and skilled at responding to changes in design projects
- Good research and writing skills
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, the Adobe Suite, SketchUp, and GIS Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work both individually and alongside a team; also, ability to enthusiastically work under short deadlines and deliver quality work
- Willing to travel on need basis
Location: Kochi, India
Duration: 1 year
Start date: 1st November 2019
To Apply: Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.