Communications Associate, Center for Sustainable Business
In this role, you will influence sustainability issues and the role the private sector plays in a better future. You will develop, craft and disseminate messages and materials that are understandable and actionable for the business community and the stakeholders that influence it. We will rely on your broad communications skills to deliver our message in service of big global goals, and you will build upon and protect WRI’s brand as an independent and trusted NGO. You will be responsible for a communications strategy (maintenance, expansion, buy-in and execution) that uses a range of channels to disseminate WRI’s research, tools and thought leadership. If you are a precise and creative professional who likes to generate ideas and iterate on high-impact strategies, you will thrive in this role.
This is a matrixed position that will work with the Center for Sustainable Business staff, the Corporate Relations team, and several other private sector-relevant WRI programs; work in close collaboration with WRI’s global Communications team; and cultivate relationships with external audiences such as media, corporate communications counterparts in companies, and corporate sustainability conference professionals. You will promote, connect and amplify WRI’s business work for efficiency, knowledge sharing, alignment and impact across WRI’s network.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restrictions have lifted.
Work with both WRI Business Center and Corporate Relations on the following:
- Develop, enhance and execute on strategic communication plans to support and influence the private sector sustainability leadership
- Advise and implement ongoing activities and thought leadership related to media, social media, web presence, research, blogs, speaking engagements, events, email marketing and newsletters, and more
- Write, compile and edit internal and external materials, such as blog posts, press releases, op-eds, slide decks, newsletters, website content, and other compelling communications that serve to translate technical material and WRI capabilities for corporate audiences
- Identify (with program staff and leadership) new high-priority outreach opportunities to highlight WRI research, analysis, and experts to target audiences such as funders, decision makers and needle movers
- Use marketing tools and insights to identify and expand our audiences and measure progress
- Track, evaluate and report on metrics of success, and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time
- Liaise and coordinate on behalf of the business center across WRI’s network of communications, business engagement, and research staff
- Three+ years of full-time work experience in public relations, journalism, or communications
- Master’s degree (or bachelor's degree with 2 additional years of relevant experience) in related field such as journalism, communications, public relations, business, economics, sustainability or environmental studies
- Demonstrated knowledge, interest, or commitment to corporate sector sustainability or environmental issues. Passion for communications that help turn big ideas into action
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced complex office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Highly motivated, proactive work style, excellent organizational and project management skills. Keen attention to detail
- Ability to lead the planning, coordination, and execution of communications products required; background in influence strategies, and audience targeting preferred
- Experience with email marketing and newsletters
- Experience with publications development
- Social media in a professional setting to influence audiences
- Working with reporters or members of the media and speaker/interviewee prep preferred
- Strong oral communications and excellent inter-personal skills, including the ability to think creatively and collaborate with other programs, international offices, and partners about all elements of communications work
- Knowledge of PowerPoint, Photoshop, InDesign, Pardot, Salesforce, Cision, Asana and similar tools preferred
- Strong commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- US work authorization is required for this opportunity
$59,000 - $77,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa , Brazil , China , Europe , India , Indonesia , Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.