Program Lead - Landscape Planning and Implementation
Program Lead - Landscape Planning and Implementation, Bhopal
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
About your role:
WRI India seeks an exceptional candidate for designing a policy accelerator program housed in the Sustainable Landscapes and Restoration program in India. WRI India adapted the Restoration Opportunity Assessment Methodology (ROAM) developed by IUCN and WRI globally for the Indian context through an iterative process by applying it to the Sidhi district in Madhya Pradesh. This position supports the implementation work for landscape restoration in Madhya Pradesh and Sidhi district as a critical nature-based solution (NbS). With his/her knowledge of landscape-level programme implementation in India, the candidate will support the vision of the Sustainable Landscapes and Restoration program to protect, maintain and restore landscapes to secure the livelihoods of 700 million people directly dependent on forests and agriculture and strengthen India’s environmental well-being.
This position will play a key role through robust research and analysis to bring together key experts and decision-makers to better understand what factors hinder policies from reaching implementation and their intended objectives. The position requires a comprehensive understanding of incentives schemes and regulations related to landscape restoration interventions like agroforestry, payment of ecosystem services in the context of the needs of policymakers. The candidate would be responsible for providing support through research and analysis, knowledge networks for more cost-effective policy implementation, and reducing barriers that hinder landscape restoration implementation.
The candidate will work with key stakeholders within the state. The candidate will work closely with the Department of Panchayat Raj and Rural Development (DP&RD) government of Madhya Pradesh and other relevant state government departments, implementation partners, other civil society organizations (CSO) in the region, and staff from WRI India. The candidate will support developing a scaling strategy for landscape restoration as an NbS in Madhya Pradesh. This position involves a combination of leading collaborative planning processes, conducting targeted policy dialogues to inform decision-makers on how to design, develop or improve policies to increase the pace of restoration in support of the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration,
The candidate will provide strategic guidance on identifying bottlenecks around incentives for landscape restoration and help to prepare a roadmap with potential solutions for scaling landscape restoration in Madhya Pradesh and India.
How your day will unfold:
Research and communication (50%)
• Lead data analysis of knowledge products on restoration policies, policy incentives for landscape restoration in Madhya Pradesh, India, and globally with focus on the socio-ecological and economic impact of these policies.
• Lead the design and launch of the policy accelerator program in India, esp. Madhya Pradesh. This will entail the exchange of experiences on policy instruments for landscape restoration; among various government institutions, experts, CSOs participating in the program with an aim to devise innovative solutions to reduce barriers to the implementation of restoration.
• Support the identification of landscape restoration policy bottlenecks in collaboration with leading policy innovators and mentors. Identifying key mentors through the knowledge network.
• Identify potential uses of landscape restoration monitoring tools in policy analysis and its scaling, emphasizing inclusive and participatory monitoring tools and approaches.
• Present complex information clearly and concisely and communicate research findings to research and non-research to focused audiences such as governments and the private sector.
• Support the drafting of reports and peer-review manuscripts, case studies, outreach materials, presentations, and blogs.
• Provide capacity building and training support to programme partners in understanding frameworks and tools developed for landscape-level interventions such as adapted Restoration Opportunity Assessment Methodology (ROAM) for India.
• Representing WRI India’s work in internal meetings and external conferences.
Project coordination and partnership development (30%)
• Support the scaling of landscape restoration in Sidhi and Madhya Pradesh, and provide technical support to implementation partners to develop and implement landscape restoration programmes.
• Represent WRI India in meetings with the government, project consortia, and other partners. Share approaches, best practices, and lessons learned from WRI’s landscape work in these for a smooth implementation.
o Facilitate setting up and coordinate activities of the steering committee at the state level.
• Facilitate the coordination of WRI India’s technical assistance in the development and implementation of the landscape restoration plan as necessary:
o Maintain close contacts with partners, ensuring adequate communication of landscape activities across all stakeholders including Government, private sector, and NGO partners and foster multi-stakeholder participation, with particular emphasis to local communities
o Interact closely with the implementing partner for developing landscape restoration implementation plan and establishing monitoring systems.
• Facilitate connections with relevant stakeholders at the state-level and the local-level for project deliverables, especially for the policy accelerator.
Programme development and strategy (20%)
• Identify opportunities for fundraising and contribute to fund-raising efforts for landscape restoration in India – including pitching ideas and writing proposals and developing multi-year project proposals.
• Identify opportunities for scaling implementation and contribute to scaling efforts – including identifying field sites and partners, pitching innovative ideas, and writing proposals.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
• Post-graduation in forestry, natural resource management
• Minimum 10 years of full-time work experience in implementation and/or management of landscape restoration or natural resources management project.
• Prior experience and demonstrated ability in partnership-building and coordination of activities between different stakeholders (government agencies, NGOs, private sector at all levels) in Madhya Pradesh essential.
• Understanding of landscape restoration approach and familiarity with restoration related policies, schemes and programmes in Madhya Pradesh and in India.
• Fluency in Hindi and English Languages
• Flexibility to live, work and travel to remote areas. This work would require frequent travels to Sidhi district and other remote areas in Madhya Pradesh.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Familiarity with environmental policy analysis and social impact measurements
• Ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work with minimal oversight
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Good analytical skills
• Knowledge of research methods and policy analysis frameworks
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team in a high performance environment.
Salary and Benefits: 20,00,000 to 24,00,000 CTC PA
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: Term hire – 2 years(extendable for longer period depending on performance)
Location: Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter
- Writing sample
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.