Cities Program Lead
WRI Cities portfolio is a global initiative dedicated to shape a future where cities work better for everyone. Our practices area span variously in Buildings, Health, Road Safety, Urban Mobility, Urban Development, Urban Government and Water. Through innovative research, deep engagement, and global partnerships, our network of local and international experts puts cities on a trajectory of more sustainable and equitable development. We catalyze and accelerate transformative initiatives that turn cities into resilient, inclusive, low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet. Placed in seven countries, made the WRI Cities program the second biggest portfolio after climate.
In Indonesia, the WRI cities portfolio also supports numerous initiatives. In one program, we seeks to improve air quality in Jakarta through source awareness and narrowing framework. We also help cities in Indonesia to invest in their inner, nearby, and faraway forests to provide tremendous benefits in human health and well-being. WRI Indonesia also works to assist the development of Low Emission Zone (LEZ) program to greatly reduce the emissions in key cities. We also supports urban mobility improvement programme where we empower city leaders, youth, communities and provide technical solution in reducing negative externalities of mobility system through E-Mobility and Sustainable Transport Development. Lastly, WRI also facilitates any Indonesian city governments that intend and/or have committed to, ideally, net-zero–where WRI supports in ensuring the targets follow the highly accountable international scientific standard, including emission reduction from the shift in the cities value chain and carbon neutralization through nature-based solutions, e.g., tree restoration.
In recent years, we have been working in addressing carbon emissions within the cities and improving people’s lives through unbiased research, solid partnership with key government, communities and societies. Having a growing cities portfolio, WRI Indonesia seeks to work with a passionate Cities Programme Lead to manage multiple projects and initiatives, not only from the project implementation and budgetary expenditure aspect, but also to contribute to efforts to grow WRI Indonesia’s cities portfolio at large.
The Cities Program Lead plays a significant role in managing multiple project implementation and project budgetary expenditure across projects and initiatives. The Cities Programme Lead is expected to monitor, evaluate and review the project’s life cycle based on project documents. He/She needs to coordinate with key senior programme leads, managers and directors across WRI Indonesia. You will work independently under the direction and supervision of WRI Indonesia’s Urban Mobility Manager and Deputy Director for Climate, Energy, Cities and Ocean. You will be based in Jakarta with a frequent travel to project cities.
What You Will Do
Project Management (90%)
- Provide strategy on project implementation and spending to ensure all activities within projects are aligned according to the project documents (deliverables, milestones, workplan) and adhering to WRI Indonesia operations policy.
- Coordinate with grant and finance team, cities leadership and other cities project leads within WRI Indonesia office to ensure cross-project initiatives are linked.
- Lead the team in delivering the projects daily and ensure effective quality assurance is applied throughout the project lifecycle.
- Identify and address opportunities and challenges within the project that arises internally and externally, including adjustment of programmatic strategies, approaches, and budgets, with communications to cities leadership within WRI Indonesia.
- Manage engagement in building coalition among government agencies, donors, NGO’s, private sector, universities, and other key stakeholders to support project delivery.
- Develop a mechanism with the team to track the implementation of the project implementation.
- Ensure that data and information required for demonstrating program impact and lessons learned are collected, analyzed, and integrated into program monitoring and evaluation systems/tools.
- Collaborate and coordinate with staff across WRI Indonesia, WRI Global, and other international organizations.
- Assist the Cities Portfolio team with developing innovative proposals to grow the portfolio
- Assist the Cities Portfolio Team with preparing project pitch as needed.
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering / environmental engineering or science / Natural Resources Management/ International Relations/ International Development/ Transport Planning / Urban Planning/ Architecture or Public Policy.
- 2-3 years of working experience in cities / transport or climate change related works and able to demonstrate at least 2 years of project management experience in project monitoring, project evaluation, capacity building, and leading a team.
- Strong familiarity in urban development and sustainable mobility, urban-rural interaction and interlinkages between climate, energy, and landscape issues in cities context would be a plus.
- Having strong project management skills. Experience in managing projects funded by international entities is a plus.
- Demonstrated project financial planning, management, and evaluation in administering program budget.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills, or having experience in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in both Bahasa and English for speaking and writing.
- Able to formulate ideas into communicable presentations and/or writings.
- Willingness to travel frequently to project cities, if required.
Full-time with fixed-term employment agreement for up to 31 December 2024 with 3 (three) months of consultancy contract apply before the fixed-term employment agreement started.
What we offer
- Salary that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Competitive and comprehensive benefit package
- Access to the WRI global network
- Opportunity to join and/or get involved in different working groups
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
- A chance to have an impact and to develop your career within a mission driven organization
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 (DKI Jakarta local time), 14 January 2024. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, gender diverse communities, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.