Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
In this newly created role, you will be responsible for creating our DEI strategy and initiatives across the organization. Reporting jointly to our Chief Human Resources Officer and our CEO, you will partner on the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies, processes, and systems in WRI’s global network. You will collaborate with the Senior Executives including Board members, Program, Center and International Office Leaders, and employee groups to facilitate and prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion in how the WRI culture is experienced. You will work with DEI Working Groups in each of our offices internationally to advance our DEI ambition and goals. You will partner with the Global HR Network (GHRN) to develop and implement diversity and inclusion strategies, programs, and policies that successfully attract, engage, retain, and develop a diverse workforce. You will also create measurable results as we progress in maturing diversity and inclusion.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in Washington, DC once restrictions have lifted.
- Develop and lead a multi-year strategy and implementation action plan for enhancing staff diversity and inclusion in all offices throughout WRI’s global network
- Partner closely with the Talent Acquisition team on inclusion strategy in attracting, sourcing, interviewing and hiring diverse talent
- Partner with the Staff Learning and Development team to develop and implement an inclusive learning and awareness strategy for all levels of employees
- Support HR business partner leads in WRI’s global network to transform the mindset of inclusion by partnering on process and policy changes that encourage and reward the inclusion mindset
- Develop DEI goals and action plans that align with strategic priorities based on employee feedback and EDGE survey results
- Ensure effective and timely implementation of the DEI action plan
- Lead and support WRI’s DEI Working Groups in all International Offices
- Promote organization-wide awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Partner with the Communications team on effective internal and external communication, reporting and branding around WRI’s diversity strategy and commitment
- Participate in external diversity benchmarking activities
- Ensure alignment of resources across the organization to support the efforts of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Support the creation of and plan oversight for effective employee affinity communities that support employee development, mentoring, sense of community, and well-being
- Foster and cultivate external relationships with networks and partnerships for best practice awareness
- Participate as a member of the Global HR Network (GHRN), and partner with HR leaders to imbed diversity and inclusion best practices into multi-year HR priorities
- Lead the development of key metrics to track the progress of DEI strategy, providing key insights and intervention recommendations for further activities (including competitive benchmarking and best practices)
- Partner with the US HR lead and Talent Acquisition lead in the effort to produce the annual Affirmative Action Plan, goals, and activities
- Support Employee Relations and Office of General Counsel efforts to conduct investigations and resolve employee grievances
- Create and manage the DEI dashboard
Job Skills and Knowledge requirements:
- Ability to adapt to changing operational activities and departmental initiatives
- Expert in working across cultures and capable of diplomatically educating and gaining buy-in when differing points of view emerge
- Proven knowledge of Diversity and Inclusion issues, practices, and approaches with an international lens
- Results-oriented approach and track record of delivering results
- Skilled at getting individuals, teams, and entire organizational units to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people
- Entrepreneurial orientation and thought leadership to recognize future trends and new opportunities
- An open, inclusive, team-oriented work style and the ability to collaborate with employees and leaders across the organization. Proven ability to lead and accomplish goals through influence
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as the ability to interact credibly and diplomatically within all levels of the association – tailoring communications effectively for different groups and stakeholders to strengthen cross-functional alignment
- A commanding and credible public presence coupled with a calm demeanor under pressure
- BS/BA in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, HR, Business, I/O Psychology, or another related field required
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience and 5 years of management experience required
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing, implementing and evaluating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion programs
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Change Management, or Project Management Certifications preferred
- Strong working knowledge of US labor laws - 1964 Civil Rights Act, the 1991 Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Title 41 of the Code of Federal regulations 60-4, and other applicable laws
- General understanding of international labor law
Potential Salary: $124,000 - $167,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
WRI welcomes, values, and promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in its global workforce and across all areas of work. We believe that integrating these values into every action is morally right. These values also increase our impact and foster a more innovative, collaborative culture for our organization. Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are integral to how we live our mission every day. We are announcing a newly created Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion role which will report directly to the CEO and the Chief Human Resources Officer and will be responsible for the WRI’s DEI commitment and efforts throughout our global network.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.