Consultant as Full Stack Developer
WRI’s air quality program is a global initiative that seeks to identify, build awareness of, and eliminate the root causes of air pollution that damages climate, human, and ecosystem health. The program has three main areas of work: (i) engagement with city stakeholders to use participatory science to diagnose and develop targeted, cost-effective clean air solutions to protect human health and climate, (ii) working with the science community to convert innovative methods into tools and products that communities and policymakers can use to better manage their impact on the atmosphere, and (iii) working with national governments and business networks to design and implement broader regional-to-global air quality governance. It is a part of the WRI Ross Center on Sustainable Cities, with additional oversight from the Data Lab and engagement with Climate, Governance, Energy, and other programs at WRI. The team is global, with senior experts distributed across WRI’s network of international offices
WRI Indonesia air quality program is growing along with the new USAID-funded program called “Clean Air Catalyst”, which will be implemented by a global consortium that WRI is leading with EDF and other partners. The consortium includes six additional partners: Clean Air Toolbox for Cities (Columbia University), Climate and Clean Air Coalition, Internews Network, MAP-AQ, OpenAQ, and Vital Strategies. The program will work in three pilot regions with WRI international offices and local partners to test and refine a three-part data to action methodology for improving air quality and delivering climate co-benefits. We plan to work with local partners in three pilot regions – one of which is Jakarta, Indonesia – to test and refine a three-part data to action methodology for improving air quality and delivering climate co-benefits.
The Full Stack Developer will be based in Jakarta, sitting at Jakarta Environment Agency (DLH) office to working closely with DLH’s IT Department. Full Stack Developer Consultant is responsible to develop web-based air quality monitoring dashboard (CAC AQMS Dashboard) that enable stakeholders to monitor real-time measurement of pollutants concentration gathered from multiple AQMS/Air Quality Monitoring Stations in Jakarta. The portal dashboard spans from developing data transfer protocol using API from cloud server to web-server, data QC mechanism, user-friendly data visualization and analytical tools. This position will be reporting directly to CAC Project Manager.
What You Will Do
Systems and Tool Development (90%)
- Work with program team and project manager to define and/or adjust Product Requirement Design (PRD) for CAC AQMS Dashboard.
- Develop automatic data transmission of QC’ed data and data QC mechanism from CAC server to web-server.
- Managing and integrating large-AQ data set both from CAC’s and partner’s monitoring station to CAC AQMS Dashboard.
- Develop front end for CAC AQMS Dashboard and website architecture.
- Conduct assessment for user requirement to support the development of web-based dashboard, if necessary
- Develop back-end of web-based tool in collaboration with program team
- Create security and data protection settings for CAC AQMS Dashboard
- Conduct required testing to ensure functionality, responsiveness, and efficiency of the CAC AQMS Dashboard.
- Write APIs and other technical documentation for CAC AQMS Dashboard development, including guideline for multiple stakeholders (DLH, and other government agencies).
Program Management (10%)
- Support the Program team in developing implementation plan related with the dashboard development
- Support program team in training and socialization on the use of platform for key stakeholders
- Coordinate periodically with external service providers and stakeholders (i.e. DLH) to assure the quality of the delivered products
- Liaising periodically with DLH’s IT Department about CAC AQMS Dashboard development.
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, preferably with coursework in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Geoinformatics, Informatics Engineering, or equivalent experience;
- 3+ years overall work experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Strong proficiency in common stacks for software development
- Experience and strong proficiency on databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, PostGIS), web servers (e.g. NGINX, GeoServer, Apache)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies;
- Business proficiency in verbal and written communication, and in working collaboratively with a variety of colleagues and clients in a remote development environment;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills;
- Strong problem-solving skills;
- Eagerness to learn, to help, to share knowledge;
- Legally able to work in Indonesia.
- Develop well-functioning and efficient back-end system of CAC AQMS Dashboard
- Develop well-functioning and efficient front-end system of CAC AQMS Dashboard
This position is required to start as soon as possible with contract period up to 12 (twelve) months.
Terms of Payment
Daily-rate based Consultant with maximum 18 (eighteen) working days per month.
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 (DKI Jakarta local time), 27 November 2023. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, gender diverse communities, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.