Institutional Development Director, India
Institutional Development Director, India
The Leader We Are Looking For
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust is seeking a Director – Institutional Development, to formulate, coordinate, and expand its strategy to secure the resources and partnerships needed to advance the objectives and goals of the organization. The individual will take the lead in raising project-based funding as well as flexible unrestricted funding for WRI India by identifying, developing, and implementing strategies to collaborate with foundation, corporate and government sectors, as well as work with WRI India board members, and serve as the primary board liaison. The Director – Institutional Development will be responsible for growing the budget for WRI India in the years to come and to take personal responsibility to raise a significant proportion of this budget. In doing this, the Director – Institutional Development will work closely with staff across WRI India programs as well as senior management.
About WRI India:
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. Our work focuses on building sustainable and liveable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being. WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization with more than 1000 experts and other staff around the world. World Resources Institute began in Washington, DC, in 1982 to provide cutting edge analysis to address global environment and development challenges. WRI spans more than 50 countries, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, and the United States. In all of these locations, WRI works with government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action based on high-quality data and objective analysis.
The World Resources Institute India (WRI India) is an Indian research organization with experts and staff who work closely with leaders to turn big ideas into action to sustain a healthy environment – the foundation of economic opportunity and human well-being. WRI envisions an equitable and prosperous planet driven by the wise management of natural resources and aspires to create a world where the actions of government, business, and communities combine to eliminate poverty and sustain the natural environment for all people.
WRI India aims to help solve the four most urgent challenges in India – rapid urbanization, the increasing demand for energy, responding to climate change and the large-scale degradation of natural resources. Over 150 experts and staff across three office locations – Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi – deliver these ambitious goals. WRI India is supported by WRI’s international offices, to ensure that the global organization’s experience can be brought to bear within the context of India.
The position will help advance the WRI India work plan, and at the same time deliver both flexible unrestricted and project funding from sources that do not conflict with WRI India values and mission Specifically, the individual will:
- Assume overall responsibility for fundraising across WRI India and act as the primary board liaison for WRI India’s board members.
- Establish and develop Foundation Relations, and Government Relations and Corporate Relations for WRI India, with an emphasis on establishing and stewarding relationships with domestic and international foundations, Indian companies, United Nations agencies, and international and Indian government agencies
- Establish a cohesive list of potential funding prospects within the Indian development ecosystem
- Communicate and amplify WRI India’s work and key messages to the target sectors
- Sharpen and strengthen existing or new project strategies and proposals based on external feedback
- Make external connections in order to cultivate valuable new ideas, opportunities, and outcomes
- Collaborate on fundraising activities, particularly with international donors, with WRI’s office in Washington, DC
- Manage institutional relationships with the WRI India board members, co-ordinate board meetings, and keep board members informed activities and achievement.
- Support board member participation in WRI India’s influence strategies, external communications, and fundraising efforts, and assist in coordination of various country-level and topical board advisory committees.
The ideal candidate will have strong grounding in or knowledge of issues of fundraising and sustainability, and experience engaging with the private sector on issues of corporate social responsibility. Candidate must have experience building strong relationships with a wide range of organisations, particularly in the philanthropic, business and government sectors, a track record of raising funds, and a proven ability to think and act strategically. The ideal candidate will be willing to take on ambitious fundraising targets and goals against which their performance will be measured.
Develop Foundation Relations function for WRI India
- Identify and lead approaches to prospective local foundation donors and manage portfolio of existing donors who are positioned to expand their support to WRI India
- Lead WRI India funding approaches to international foundation donors with WRI’s Development office in Washington
- Work closely with the board member in driving a deep engagement for WRI India.
Develop Corporate Relations function for WRI India
- In accordance with WRI India’s values and objectives statements, develop an outreach and engagement strategy resulting in joint projects/workshops with companies to build WRI India’s profile, particularly with the Indian corporate sector. Work with colleagues to develop communications materials that are suitable for a corporate audience and which promote WRI India’s priorities and projects.
- Identify and solicit corporate prospects and secure funding from corporate donors for WRI India. This includes work to:
- Arrange expert guidance on WRI India program and activities for partner companies and serve as central resource for partner inquiries
- Promote a two-way engagement with partner companies on areas of mutual interest
- Manage portfolio of existing donors who are positioned to expand their support to WRI India
- Draft solicitation letters and proposals, and review and edit fundraising proposals by program staff
- Coordinate fundraising approaches to multinational corporations with offices/operations in India with WRI’s Development office in Washington.
Government Relations function for WRI India
- Undertake prospect research into and lead approaches to UN funding available that WRI India could potentially receive.
- Collaborate with WRI’s offices in Europe and in Washington to identify and pursue funding from bilateral and multilateral agencies
- Understand the process for WRI India to participate in programs championed by the Indian government at the state and local levels, evaluate the readiness of the WRI India to be involved in this process, and as appropriate, formulate a strategy for participation.
Administration, logistics and management
- Review, collaborate, and manage staff requests to approach companies, foundations, and government agencies for joint projects, workshops and where relevant, financial support
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records of donors and track utilization of funds
- Stay on top of and coordinate all donor outreach activities for WRI India, including approaches to international donors, maintaining an open flow of information between WRI India and WRI in Washington. Note that fundraising from international donors will be primarily the responsibility of WRI India project staff or WRI’s development team in Washington.
- Ensure adherence to WRI’s support guidelines and corporate vetting procedures, working with colleagues in WRI India and in Washington.
- Work closely with program teams to learn the intricacies of the projects, structure, and deepen the focus areas for financial support, become resourceful and contribute to the success of these initiatives
- Represent WRI India’s interests in corporate sustainability with a one-on-one engagement with companies and communicate emerging business trends and challenges in this arena
- Provide corporate, foundation and government partners with regular updates on relevant program activities, outputs and outcomes of WRI India.
- Draft communications and updates to the board for the CEO and other WRI executives as needed.
- Prepare board meeting agendas, board materials
- Research biographical information on potential board nominees
- Support External Relations in drafting op-eds, blog postings, and remarks for board members
- Research and stay abreast of best practice regarding non-profit boards and governance
- Support the CEO, Strategy Heads and Directors as they work to define structured roles with each board member on a biennial basis, and help ensure follow up on agreed actions
- Respond to board member requests and proactively identify ways WRI India can support their efforts to advance sustainable development in their wider societal roles
- Support activities to engage the board in fundraising through their personal giving to WRI and outreach to donor prospects in their networks
- Help to brief the CEO before meetings with board members
- Track board members' interests and activities to maintain a high level of board stewardship
- Maintain records of e-mail and telephone interactions between staff and board members using relationship management software.
Qualifications and Skills
- 15 - 20 years of experience of working in a fundraising, private sector or demonstrated familiarity with corporate sustainability issues.
- Proven track record in fundraising or business development
- Excellent strategic thinker, bridging environment and development challenges with business and government imperatives
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships— Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with key stakeholders and maintaining them over time.
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization— Communicating with people outside the organization, representing the organization to donors, the public, government, and other external sources. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Getting Information— Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources, through networks, research and meetings.
- Ability to sell ideas and pitch concepts to diverse audiences— Convincing others to buy merchandise/goods or to otherwise change their minds or actions.
Duration: Full-time regular
To Apply :
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
Final candidates will be required to take a writing test. Also required to produce two writing samples.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.