Consultant as Flood Risk Modeling Research Specialist
WRI Indonesia through the Emission Measurement, Reduction and Sequestration Initiative (EMISI) Consortium focuses on restoration and the individual trees' ability to sequester carbon and remove emissions from the atmosphere through a landscape approach. In this regard, EMISI supports individuals, groups and/or institutions to calculate their emissions, and then to reduce their own carbon footprint or to support carbon sequestration activities conducted by various grassroot organizations.
To support these climate-smart restoration efforts, EMISI has focused on scalable pathways to unlock climate finance from individuals as well as larger public or private organizations through crowdfunding platforms. To assure funders of the climate impact, EMISI developed technology and science-informed communication platforms that showcase WRI's high-quality monitoring and reporting data combined with the latest available technical research. As a Consortium, EMISI schemes involve integrated information system and coordination among multiple stakeholders, yet our focus remains on delivering impact to local people. The EMISI Consortium programs not only deliver critical benefits for the climate, wildlife habitat, and ecosystems, but also improve local livelihoods through employment, women empowerment, better land use management, capacity building and assist with the establishment of grassroot communities' health facilities.
The Consultant will be based in Jakarta, Indonesia, however the consultant could be do teleworking from anywhere within commute distance from office base as long as online measures are available. There is possibility to travel to Jambi, Aceh, and Bintan, Indonesia, depending on the requirement of the project. The main duty will be to supply the team thoroughly researched knowledge products that are set to be presented to policymakers and donor. The Consultant will work with an EMISI program team and Hydrologist at WRI Indonesia to fully demonstrate the technical assessments of river floods and coastal floods risk modeling to assess the current or baseline condition of the ecosystems and the possible impacts from restoration activity being done in the program locations. The Consultant will critically integrate, document, and assess a variety of spatial and non-spatial data, research findings and expert inputs into high-quality deliverables (peer-reviewed journal or research publication) and advocacy materials (decks/op-eds/briefs). Additionally, the Research Consultant will support the research engagement and coordination as needed.
This project is coordinated under WRI Indonesia’s Climate, Energy, Cities, and the Ocean (CECO) program, where the Consultant will be a part of a vibrant and competent team that strives to strengthen the organization’s breadth of expertise and track records in the domain of restoration and nature-based solutions impacts. The Consultant will be working closely with WRI Indonesia’s EMISI team and will report to the Sustainable Business and Corporate Engagement Manager.
What You Will Do
- Developing a research framework and methodology to analyze the major factors of river flood in Jambi/Aceh and coastal flood in Bintan, including the relationship between climate change and land use and land cover change
- Collecting spatial and non-spatial data required for flood risk analysis
- Conducting hydrological modeling on the current condition of the terrestrial and coastal ecosystems which impacted by river flood and coastal flood
- Conducting hydrological modeling to assess the possible impacts to reduce the flood risk in both terrestrial and coastal ecosystems through restoration activities
- Formulating recommendation on the solutions for flood risk, including nature-based solutions
- Coordinate with WRI Indonesia’s EMISI team and Hydrologist to develop research on both terrestrial and coastal ecosystems
- Preparing focus group discussion (FGD) with relevant stakeholders, as needed
- Contribute to the writing and publication of research products adhering to WRI Indonesia’s most recent Knowledge & Communications Product Guideline.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia
- Master’s degree in hydrology, oceanography, geodetics, water resources, forestry, natural resources, or other related fields from a reputable university
- 3+ years of professional experience in hydrological and/or coastal hydrodynamics modeling and flood analysis
- Having the minimum intermediate skill of Geographic Information System (GIS) and hydrological and/or coastal hydrodynamics modeling
- Strong writing and research skills and excellent academic performance
- Business proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia and English for both verbal and written
- Experience and proven ability to communicate effectively with the various stakeholders and parties
- Willingness to travel to remote locations in Indonesia when needed
- Understanding the technical assessment of hydrological and/coastal hydrodynamics modeling to assess river flood and coastal flood
- Familiarity with the landscape of Kerinci and/or Leuser Ecosystems and Bintan’s coastal ecosystems
- Direct hands-on research experience, both desk study and on-site
March – August 2023
Deliverables, Timeline, and Terms of Payment
The Research Consultant will receive compensation based on deliverables submitted throughout the project period with deliverables, timeline, and terms of payment as follow.
2023, payment %
Research framework on the identified problem statements and methodology on flood risk for terrestrial and coastal ecosystems
Data collection to conduct hydrological and/or coastal hydrodynamics modeling
Preliminary report on current condition of terrestrial and coastal ecosystems on flood risk assessment
Final report on possible impacts of restoration activities on terrestrial and coastal ecosystems and list of recommendations related to nature-based solutions
Produce at least 1 (one) knowledge product and/or communication product (e.g. policy brief, op-ed, research journal) in coordination with donor requirements and WRI Indonesia’s policy/guideline
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer:
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 17.00 WIB (DKI Jakarta local time), 9 March 2023. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, the LGBTQ+ community, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.