Consultant as Low Carbon Mobility Specialist (Bali-based)
WRI Indonesia’s cities and transport portfolio focus on reducing cities’ GHG emission and leveraging cities and dynamics to do rapid transition towards net-zero through just transition pathways to achieve inclusive, resilient, and prosperous nation. There are three pillars that we have defined to achieve this cities transition: livable neighborhood, climate resilience, and connective mobility. Under connective mobility pillar, WRI Indonesia believes that a people-centered mobility system is a fundamental aspect that should be provided in the city. Therefore, our mission is to help cities and provinces to implement seamlessly integrated, safe, good quality and accessible to all mobility system.
In a mission to achieve this goal, WRI Indonesia has been working with more than 10 cities leaders and national government in Indonesia to co-implement the low carbon mobility solution. One of our largest flagships is happening in Bali where WRI Indonesia is working with Bali Government to provide a strong foundational program towards Bali Net Zero Emission 2045 vision. The program is working to decarbonize multiple priority sectors including energy, industry, and transport through the development of proof of concept, building sustainable business model, and empowering communities and local actors.
Bali Climate and Green Development Initiative
The Bali Climate and Green Development initiative believes that fostering the agency and leadership of local government and broader segments of the society is key to ensure that the net zero emission agenda remains strong and becomes a way of life and pathway for development, regardless of national and local political transitions. It will require concerted efforts amongst various actors to create breakthroughs with long-lasting climate, social, and economic impacts. Our main targets in this project consist of local government, especially in the field of energy and transportation, electric vehicle (EV) and clean energy business owners, coastal communities, and sustainable tourism communities. While most of them have already had a common understanding towards the urgency of climate transition, they need to be equipped with more information, knowledge, and thought-leadership avenues to build ideas and make actions.
In this phase, WRI Indonesia, together with Bali Transport Agency and key stakeholders in Bali is developing an enabling ecosystem to achieve Bali’s sustainable transport goals with a program called “Bali Low Emission Zone Initiative (BLEZI)”. With a zone-based approach, BLEZI acts as demonstration and intensification areas to promote zero emission mobility by emphasizing two core approaches: Improving Sustainable Urban Mobility and Acceleration Zero Emission Vehicle Adoption. Having this strategic multi-dimensional program in Bali, WRI Indonesia seeks to work with a mobility professional to conceptualize, manage, implement and monitor the BLEZI implementation in Bali.
The Low Carbon Mobility Specialist plays a significant role in overseeing low carbon mobility intervention under BLEZI. She/he is required to coordinate the work that will be co-develop with Bali Transport Agency. The Low Carbon Mobility Specialist is expected to represent WRI Indonesia to provide an unbiased insight on low carbon mobility and keep engaged with Bali key stakeholders in developing the project. The Low Carbon Mobility Specialist will work independently under the direction and supervision of WRI Indonesia’s Deputy Director for Climate, Energy, Cities and Ocean and Urban Mobility Manager; You will be based in Bali and be flexible to travel to Jakarta and other cities for project coordination.
What You Will Do
In coordination with the Urban Mobility Manager, the Low Carbon Mobility Specialist will have responsibilities to:
- Lead technical coordination and provide science-based insight to reach project goals.
- Lead technical analysis and conceptual design of BLEZI and other sustainable mobility related agenda in Bali, including topics of, but not limited to Bus Rapid Transit, Non-Motorized Transport, Electric Mobility and Transport Demand Management.
- Provide review and technical advice to research/knowledge products that are produced internally, and from external parties related to BLEZI initiatives.
- Provide unbiased views and insight, representing WRI Indonesia, for the communication related to the project goals.
- Maintain engagement with internal and external stakeholders as part of project implementation strategy.
- Maintain WRI Indonesia’s engagement with key stakeholders in Bali.
- Closely coordinate with cities’ key stakeholders, especially Transport Agency, Energy Agency, PLN, Civil Society Organizations, and communities in developing analyses and recommendation to support Bali Low Emission Initiative agenda.
- Assist program management to monitor project delivery.
- Monitor and evaluate project delivery to ensure project deliverables are achieved according to plan.
- Participate in planning and implementing outreach events (e.g. conference, FGDs, workshops) as necessary
What You Will Need
- Master’s Degree in transportation, civil engineering, environmental engineering, urban planning or any other related field. Bachelor degree with an extensive transport-related project experience is also welcome to apply.
- Minimum 5 years of full-time work experience in transportation or environment filed, has a knowledge and experience in low carbon mobility project is a plus.
- Legally able to work in Indonesia
- Able to travel to other provinces/cities in Indonesia
- Experience in scientific writing with history in publishing international peer-reviewed journal
- Highly organized and systematic with strong time management skills and ability to juggle competing priorities and deadlines required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Professional fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment and cross sectoral themes.
- Highly motivated, strong can-do attitude, proactive work style and excellent organizational skills and work-ethic.
- Problem solver who is willing to develop and share ideas internally and externally.
- Work plans are expected to be carried out timely and satisfactory with minor supervision.
- Must be capable of setting priorities and working under pressure.
- Ability to work well with internal and external participants is essential.
- Ability to work well in group/team as well as working individually.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is imperative.
- Bali’s Low Emission Zone Development Report.
- Final version or published knowledge products as planned in the projects.
- Technical analyses results (i.e. presentations or reports) as planned in the projects
- Monthly verbal or written progress report to the team
This position is required to join as soon as possible with initial contract period up to 31 August 2024. There is a possibility of extension to full time position, subject to individual performance evaluation, project needs, and budget availability.
Terms of Payment
Daily-rate based consultant with maximum of 18 (eighteen) working days per month.
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer:
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 (DKI Jakarta local time), 15 December 2023. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, gender diverse communities, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.