Intern, Communications, P4G
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
Internships at WRI are learning experiences designed for current students, recent graduates, and other candidates who wish to gain knowledge about a specific area of our work. We strive to attract diverse, intellectually-driven candidates who have a passion for sustainability and development. WRI provides many internship opportunities throughout the year in all our programs.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.
P4G brings together business, government and civil society organizations in innovative public-private partnerships to advance solutions that help meet humanity’s greatest needs in five key sectors: food and agriculture, water, energy, cities and the circular economy.
We are working to accelerate and scale new public-private partnerships for sustainable growth in developing countries. P4G offers funding, facilitation and recognition to help partnerships grow and become global models for sustainable solutions. Through the development of partnerships, P4G creates cutting-edge, industry knowledge products, including the 2018 P4G Report and the forthcoming State-of-the-Art Report. The Initiative also influences the green growth agenda by rallying leaders from governments, businesses, academia, cities and civil society in high-level biennial Summits.
Partner countries include: Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea and Vietnam. Many of these countries have instituted “National Platforms,” which anchor national partnership interventions and implementation.
P4G Partner organizations include: C40, Global Green Growth Institute, IFC, World Economic Forum and World Resources Institute, which hosts the P4G Global Hub.
This full-time internship is based at the P4G Global Hub at the World Resources Institute in Washington, D.C. In your role as the Communications Intern, you will directly support the development of P4G’s nascent brand and the growth of P4G partnerships’ influence on the green growth agenda.
Your role will cover diverse communications-related responsibilities, including: content development for and management of the P4G website; content and media/social media needs for high-profile, international events; media engagement and tracking; audience engagement and reporting; social analytics; and supporting content development for the P4G monthly newsletter.
The P4G Communications team (consisting of the Head of Communications and Communications Specialist) regularly works with representatives from P4G partnerships, partner countries and partner organizations across the world to broaden the scope of the Initiative’s brand and potential impact. Your role will require the ability to track and engage communications needs and opportunities inherent in a diverse and international network.
You will be essential in supporting the growing content needs and ultimate communications strategy for engaging and promoting a growing number of partnerships. Ideally, you will join the team as P4G finalizes its selection of the 2019 partnership cohort and will thus play a major role supporting the communications opportunities that emerge from a growing P4G network.
The intern will gain experience in the following areas:
- Building a brand and strategizing the growth of a start-up
- Website content and organization strategy, specifically within the Drupal framework
- Media tracking and opportunities, including contact management within media connections
- Social media strategy and presence, specifically on Twitter and LinkedIn
- Research and content sourcing, especially for graphic and photo materials
- Content and media support for regular, international events
- Tracking communications metrics and channel/material performance
- Writing for diverse audiences
- Reporting and analysis for communications channels
- Pursuing or completed a degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field
- Superb and detail-oriented writing skills; ideally with a focus on writing for the web and from a journalistic standpoint
- Excellent editing, research, and oral communication skills
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and efficient
- Background in using Social Media, especially Twitter and LinkedIn, for professional audience
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others as well as independently and with the highest standards of integrity
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and ability to manage multiple projects with varying deadlines and competing demands
- Commitment to P4G’s mission, values, and approach
- Not required, but would be a plus:
- Proficiency in a P4G partner country language a plus (Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mexico, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea and Vietnam)
- Graphic design and photo editing experience
- Video editing and production experience
- Experience using/managing Salesforce or other contact management systems
General Internship Requirements
- Applicants must have personal health insurance coverage.
- U.S. work authorization is required for this opportunity. WRI does not sponsor interns for visas.
This is a paid internship.
This is minimum three-month (12 week), maximum six-month (24 weeks) summer/fall internship with preferred start date on June 17.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered.
The World Resources Institute (http://www.wri.org) is an environmental and development research and policy organization that creates solutions to protect the Earth and improve people’s lives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, it is WRI’s policy to recruit, hire, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, parental status, protected veteran status, or disability. WRI’s global agenda requires a staff that is diverse – with respect to race, gender, cultural, and international background. Diverse perspectives and experience enhance the way WRI selects and approaches issues, as well as the creativity and applicability of WRI's policy research and analysis. WRI, therefore, encourages applications from U.S. minorities, persons from other countries (especially developing nations), and from women of all backgrounds.