Consultant as Communications Officer for Food System
The Food and Land Use Coalition (FOLU)
The Food and Land Use (FOLU) Coalition is a community of organisations and individuals committed to the urgent need to transform the way we produce and consume food and use our land for people, nature, and climate. In Indonesia, FOLU is working on an Action Agenda document providing insight on pathway in transforming the way land is used and food is produced, up till it is marketed, consumed, and disposed of. It embraces the social, political, economic, and environmental systems that influence and are influenced by those activities. A key part of the discussion is the associated financing requirement and opportunities, considering the economic benefit of the discussed transformation pathway and policies derived. More information about this project can be read here.
The Communications Officer for Food System will work on the communications, engagement, implementation and other communications works spectrum alongside the Communications Team to support the transformation towards sustainable food system under the FOLU Coalition. This person reports directly to the Senior Communications Coordinator for Agriculture, Forest, and Land Use (AFOLU) with close coordination with the program teams, FOLU Global Communications team, and working collaboratively with the rest of WRI Indonesia Communications Team.
What You Will Do
- Lead the implementation of communications strategies pertaining to FOLU Coalition. The communications activities and creative campaigns include but not limited to communications materials development, event management, media engagement, video development, writing, and managing social media.
- Actively support the team to provide communications tools (slide deck, letters, etc) and ensure the team is equipped with the right and aligned messages through the right medium
- In coordination with WRI Indonesia and FOLU Global’s communications team to manage the implementation of communications strategies for reports, events, conferences, and news opportunities including media content
- Work with the Communications team and Program Managers in the development, design, and implementation of communication vehicles and materials to make sure messages are delivered through the right medium. Materials include but not limited to advertisements, videos, brochures, press releases, slide deck, letters, etc.
- Involve in development of ideas, write, and edit a variety of internal and external materials, such as blog posts, media materials, newsletters, op-eds, website content, and more
- Adhere to WRI’s and FOLU’s communications style guide, ensuring that we produce high-quality communications products.
- Arrange and coordinate press events, including but not limited to: press conferences or media briefing for publication launches, round-table discussions, meetings, and other announcements
- Engage with third-party vendors and consultants
- Supporting other WRI Indonesia’s communications activities
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or other relevant fields;
- Professional experience of at least three years in communications;
- Experience in working with reporters or member of the media
- Experience and proven ability to communicate effectively with Indonesian government officials (national or sub-national);
- Articulate, versatile, highly skilled writer with professional writing experience (professional clips or writing samples preferred);
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team;
- Excellent inter-personal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs, international offices, and partners;
- Understanding of social media and how to use it to impact audiences;
- Ability to think creatively and collaboratively about all elements of communications work;
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products;
- Business proficiency in both Bahasa Indonesia and English, with a strong emphasis on written and spoken communications (additional language skills are welcome);
- Legally able to work in Indonesia.
- Master’s degree communications, public relations, journalism, or other relevant fields;
- International experience or prior work in a global organization
- Experience in working with a content management system (CMS)
- Experience in established media contact of reporters or members of the media
- Interest and experience in sustainability, food, or other environmental-related issues in Indonesia
- Having visual skills, such as photography, graphic design, and Adobe Photoshop
Monthly consolidated report on delivery, achievement and lessons learned. Other deliverables include but not limited to:
- Implementation of FOLU Communications activities
- Analytical report of each activity
- Communications materials development such as video (in coordination with third party), press release, blog, op-eds, website content, slide deck
- Managing social media including creating social media plan, develop contents, and evaluation
- Other support for WRI Indonesia’s and FOLU communications activities
An initial contract up to 31 December 2023 with possibility of extension subject to individual performance evaluation, project needs, and budget availability.
Terms of Payment
Daily rate consultant with maximum of 18 working days per month in average
Individual consultancy contract (Part-time, limited term)
What we offer:
- Consultant rate that is commensurate with experience and skills
- Travel insurance for both domestic and international for any travel duty as assigned by WRI Indonesia
- Access to the WRI global network
- A workplace that strives to put diversity and inclusion at the heart of our work
Must have authorization to work in Indonesia to be eligible for this position.
Final candidates might be required to take a writing test and to produce two writing samples when needed.
How to apply: In order to be formally considered, please submit an updated resume and cover letter through WRI career portal.
Application close: 1700 (DKI Jakarta local time), 24 April 2023. We will close the advert earlier when the best candidates are identified at earlier dates.
This is a locally engaged position; Indonesian nationals are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1982, World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean. WRI has a global staff of over 1,800 people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa, Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Colombia and the United States, as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps, and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business, and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
Our mission and values:
WRI’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations.
Our values are shared ideals that bind us together: Integrity, Innovation, Urgency, Independence, Respect.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices. We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, gender diverse communities, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply. Recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality, WRI has also been awarded EDGE certification.
WRI Indonesia is national entity (Yayasan) associated with the World Resources Institute (WRI), a global environmental research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI work with various stakeholders in the natural resources sector to support policy and management that are both profitable and sustainable. WRI work with leaders in more than 50 countries for more than 30 years, with offices in Brazil, China, Europe, India, Indonesia, Mexico, and the United States.
Launched in early 2014, WRI Indonesia builds on WRI’s 10-year history in the country, and strengthens our impact on the ground. In the short-to-medium term, WRI Indonesia aims to expand its presence and portfolio to include projects in the climate, energy, as well as city and transportation programs.