Program Manager: Economic Development Strategy for City-regions
Program Manager: Economic Development Strategy for City-regions
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 250 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
About your role:
WRI India is looking to recruit a Program Manager, with over 7 years of experience in management and strategy consulting in the sector or urban and economic development. You have an advanced degree in management or urban development, or equivalent course and a bachelor’s degree in urban development studies, urban economics, or related fields. We are looking for demonstrated experience of team management, partner and partner management and willingness to travel to multiple selected cities for project related interactions.
How your day will unfold:
- Coordinate an initiative to “Develop Strategic Economic Development Roadmaps for city regions to become growth hubs” by consulting with multiple teams at WRI India and multiple partners and across multiple city-regions.
- Offer strategic guidance and directions in undertaking goal settings for economic context analysis, visioning and opportunity framing, economic development strategies and related analysis for developing selected city-regions as growth hubs.
- Support technical reviews and analysis of existing and upcoming interventions and shape the deliverables such as background document on state of the economy, economic context analysis, spatial analytics, and recommendations.
- Work with multiple teams and communicate with the WRI India internal team members and partners to achieve project goals and ensure regular progress reporting so that work flows smoothly.
- Manage secondary research and writing, on-site project activities such as partner dialogues, partner consultations, and technical reviews based on the needs of the project.
- Oversee logistical processes and provide technical design support for all deliverables related to the project activities across multiple city-regions.
- Manage overall progress of the project and communicate any gaps/delays if any to both internal and external reporting lines. Help develop remedial measures to address such issues.
- Support convenings of multiple partners, experts, mentors, and partners to gather feedback for the study and organising workshops/conferences based on the project need and relevance.
- Prepare briefings for the senior team members including director and executive director, to assist with meetings, events, and presentations. Further, help in organizing and administering training and capacity building sessions based on the needs of the project.
- Oversee all relevant local financial transactions and disbursal and their reporting following the stipulated WRI India working manual.
- Travel to specific project-based cities for meetings and convenings with project partners.
Qualifications and Requirements we seek:
- PhD/Masters/Equivalent Postgraduate in management/MBA with a degree in urban studies/urban economics/public policy/planning and governance or related fields
- Minimum 7 to 10 years of relevant work experience preferably in a consultancy work environment, managing all aspects of a project including multi-partner consultations, interactions with government agencies and providing strategic expertise.
- Acquaintance with project management tools to manage tasks, resources, and milestones, collaborate with teams to prioritize workflows and tasks.
- Demonstrate strong report writing and reviewing skills.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hindi is important.
- Ability to combine and present complex information in a simple manner that is suitable for diverse audiences. This will further support interdisciplinary and geographically dispersed teams.
- Experience working with the Government Ministries/ Departments and other non-government partners such as Business and Industry Associations, and civil society organizations.
- Excellent facilitation for overall team coordination and take on the responsibilities.
- Ensure highest standards and consistency of work.
Salary and Benefits: INR 15,00,000 to INR 18,00,000 CTC
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Duration: 1 year (extendable based on performance and project requirements)
Location: New Delhi, India
Start Date: At the earliest
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter (outlining your interest and suitability for the position)
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Health & Nutrition: Personalized diet recommendation from a certified dietitian based on the physical health condition and lifestyle
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.