Consultant – Safer Access to School Program
Consultant – Safer Access to School Program, WRI India
What is WRI?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
A substantial engagement of the Safer access to schools program in Indian cities focuses on improving road safety for children accessing schools by creating safe infrastructure, capacity building and community awareness. The program aims to bring transformative change through safer design interventions on streets, intersections, public spaces, using tools such as tactical urbanism and awareness campaigns like Raahgiri day, Equal Streets, Car Free Day etc to pave a path for scaling up change on the ground. The current objective of the program is to bring about a paradigm change in the approach of designing streets around schools by prioritizing children and their specific safety as well as mobility needs.
The candidate would be required to work in the above-mentioned cities to design and implement scalable child-friendly safer access to school strategies. A candidate with experience in implementing street/ intersection designs (permanent transformation or using tactical urbanism) in the Indian context, will be preferred but not required.
The candidate will undertake and oversee a range of responsibilities for the Streets for All team as are listed below:
• Support with the designing and implementation of child-friendly streets around selected schools in program cities.
• Use tactical urbanism strategies to implement road safety/ safer street design interventions, followed by monitoring and evaluation.
• Liaising with stakeholders: government and non-governmental organizations for collecting data, setting up consultations, workshops and implementing project activities.
• Collecting all form of primary and secondary data pertinent to planning and designing of NMT infrastructure, street design, intersection design in the form of mobility pattern, intersection design, road geometry inspections, etc.
• Compilation and analysis of collected data.
• Preparation of necessary drawings, reports, presentations, graphics, etc.
• Assistance in conducting community awareness, capacity building programs, training, and workshops.
• Support the preparation of internal and external communications and media such as brochures and web content.
• Coordinate outreach efforts on behalf of program/projects and anchor partner engagement activities.
Requires Attributes and Credentials:
• Post-graduation in the field of transport planning /urban design/urban management and graduation in Architecture.
• 1-3 years of relevant design experience in road safety and/or street improvement. Preferably extended experience in stakeholder engagement and work implementation.
• Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
• Proficiency in AutoCAD, Sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite, GIS and MSOffice is a requirement.
• Basic awareness and eagerness to learn about best road safety practices especially for children in India and abroad.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
• Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner, think creatively, work calmly and enthusiastically under high pressure.
• The position is for Mumbai and Delhi NCR each, so the ideal candidate will be based in these cities.
Location: Delhi NCR and Mumbai
Position Type: Contractual
Duration: 6 months (extendable)
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover Letter with the name of the city you want to apply (To be mentioned in the Subject of the letter)
- Writing Sample
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose. Finalized candidate will be required to take a writing/analytical test.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org