Senior Program Associate - Air Quality Action
Senior Program Associate - Air Quality Action
Who we are and what we do?
WRI India, an independent charity legally registered as the India Resources Trust, provides objective information and practical proposals to foster environmentally sound and socially equitable development. WRI India’s mission is to move human society to live in ways that protect Earth’s environment and its capacity to provide for the needs and aspirations of current and future generations. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, WRI India puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
We are inspired by and associated with World Resources Institute (WRI), a global research organization. Currently over 150 researchers are working with WRI India in our offices at Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
The selected candidate will work with WRI India in supporting City governments to implement policies and projects focusing to enhance air quality in cities. The candidate will work closely with City and State government officials and other stakeholders, support framing air quality strategies and enable implementation. In overall, will provide all the support required in enabling municipal action for improving air quality such as, monitoring systems, identification, and source attribution, emissions inventories, activity analysis, collect and analyze data for preparing sectoral action plans, engage for citizen participation, prepare detailed project reports, support implementation, measure impacts, evaluate and communicate the learnings.
The candidate will actively undertake research to further the understanding on air quality in Indian cities. Will prepare technical documents, presentations, data analysis tools, communicate in the public domain, engage with partners and other stakeholders to support the agenda for clean air. The candidate will be required to work independently and in coordination with team members and partners to achieve the deliverables.
How your day will unfold:
The candidate will handle a range of program responsibilities. Some of the key responsibilities will include:
Program Development and Coordination
• Work closely with city government officials and stakeholders on a day-to-day basis to further municipal action to improve air quality.
• Conduct surveys, collect data, perform analysis, produce project reports and presentations.
• Collaborate and work with partners to further the air quality conversation in the city by supporting capacity building, conduct focused discussions and convenings.
• Work closely with the team to conduct impactful research and support produce high quality publications.
• Contribute to proposals and development efforts on program fundraising goals.
Outreach and Communications
• Produce material to communicate WRI India’s Cities work in India and globally, including analytical content to non-technical audiences, media, and existing and prospective funders
• Attend and present work at national and international workshops, conferences, seminars as necessary
Research and Knowledge
• Identify research gaps, cultivate ideas and author or co-author knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data-products) around air pollution/quality.
• Liaise with experts in India, global experts, and researchers towards producing high-quality research.
• Design and hold periodic seminars for capacity building and solicit input and feedback on the same.
Qualifications and requirements we seek:
• Master’s in Urban and regional/ Environment/ Infrastructure Planning or Environmental Engineering or a related discipline.
• Minimum 04 years of highly relevant, full-time work experience in working with Municipal Corporations to prepare and implement projects and policies related to air quality or environment or infrastructure. Prior experience in preparing and managing DPRs. Experience in developing emissions inventories, activity analysis and developing air quality action plans would be useful.
• Strong communication with an exceptional ability (through published work, articles, etc.) to write and comprehend effectively.
• Strong analytical research skills -ability to communicate complex concepts clearly, both orally and in writing, with fluency in English and understanding of vernacular languages.
• Proficiency in quantitative and qualitative data analysis is a requirement.
• A highly organized and detail-oriented thinker who can juggle multiple competing priorities.
• Ability to understand and transfer skills and knowledge to a breadth of specialty areas.
• Ability to independently lead, design and draft research proposals and studies.
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build a strong network of professional relationships.
• Comfort working with the staff at all levels of experience.
• Willingness to travel whenever required in short notice.
Salary and Benefits: INR 11,00,000 to INR 13,00,000 CTC
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Location: Ahmedabad/ Surat/ Vadodara/ Mumbai/ Pune/ Jalandhar/ Indore/ Chennai, India
Duration: 1 year (Extendable based on performance and project requirements)
List of Documents to be attached:
- Cover letter explaining how your academic background and skills meet the requirements of this position.
- Curriculum vitae
- Writing samples
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) @WRI India
WRI India values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion across all areas of our work and workforce. Integrating these values into our actions fosters a progressive and collaborative culture and can also enhance our impact. It is our responsibility to create a welcoming working environment for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experience to learn together. We are responsible for fostering a safe and inclusive workplace where questions, concerns and information about diversity, equity and inclusion are part of our ongoing dialogue and development.
Learn more about WRI India’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). Click Here
People-centric to the core:
We keep our people at the centre of everything we do - from a welcoming work environment to benefits and a culture that encourages staff to stay healthy, happy, engaged, and growing.
Some of the non-monetary benefits that our staff get:
Health benefits: We cover health insurance for you and your loved ones for up to INR 8 lakhs
Term Insurance: Our term insurance policy covers life coverage of 50 lakhs per staff member
Employee Assistance program: Promoting mental well-being and supporting staff in achieving a satisfying work-life balance
Digital healthcare service: Online doctor consultations for your primary healthcare needs
Flexible work schedule: Alternative work arrangements for all who are eligible by nature of their job
Learning culture: Workshops and trainings to empower staff, encourage new learning opportunities
Rest and Recharge weeks: We encourage staff to take time off to rest, rejuvenate, upskill, and pursue their interests.
Our leave policy: Avail personal time off at 36 per year, along with public holidays, maternity, paternity, and adoption leaves.
Click here to know more about our benefits Careers | WRI INDIA (wri-india.org)
Equal employment @WRI India
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.