JHI Associate Editor
Job ID 2022-4191
Jobson Healthcare Information (JHI) is a premier healthcare information and marketing services provider, with leading positions in a variety of growing healthcare markets such as pharmacy, eye care, clinician (physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants) and the managed markets (managed care, hospitals and government). Through its diversified, multi-media portfolio of marketing services, information databases, publications, medical education programs, events, websites and other digital and traditional media services, JHI is uniquely positioned to inform and educate a highly targeted network of approximately one million healthcare professionals across multiple specialties.
WebMD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, religion, sex, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veterans status, or any other basis protected by law.
Are you a talented writer with a keen interest in science? Review of Optometry, the leading publication for eye doctors in the US, is hiring an Associate Editor to work at our Newtown Square, PA location. Review of Optometry educates practicing optometrists about the clinical procedures of eye care and the strategic decisions that will help them succeed in a competitive and ever-evolving profession. Editorial content is a mix of brief news reports and long-form “how-to” articles on the techniques of medical practice. Review provides its readers with a high-quality monthly magazine and a website that includes the full print content plus breaking news updates as events happen.
The Associate Editor is responsible for writing compelling stories, editing medical manuscripts and consistently finding creative new ways to connect with readers, in print and online. Great entry-level position with career growth potential.
- Write and edit “how-to” articles and news stories on medical topics in eye care for a monthly publication that serves the educational needs of practicing optometrists.
- Edit manuscripts for accuracy, clarity, value to readers and elimination of bias.
- Oversee accuracy and messaging of article assignments through all stages of content development and layout to assure editorial quality.
- Generate layouts for print publication in collaboration with Art Director.
- Proofread page layouts.
- Contribute to uploading of content for web using in-house CMS and social media feeds.
- Manage ongoing calendar of events for educational conferences.
- Develop professional relationships with experts in field.
- Participate in the editorial planning process by generating story ideas that serve the audience and reinforce the publication’s identity.
- Travel to industry conferences as needed.
- One to five (1-5) years’ professional experience as an editor/writer. New grads with appropriate college experience will also be considered.
- Experience in medical education or medical publishing strongly preferred. Experience in optometry or ophthalmology a big plus.
- News researching/reporting skills a must, preferably in a scientific or medical discipline.
- Basic competence in Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop).
- Experience in digital publishing software and services (content management systems, web page design, HTML mark-up, social media).
- Ability to multitask in fast-paced environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
Attend industry conferences (roughly 2-4x per year) to develop story ideas and network with authors.
Applications without a cover letter and published writing samples will not be considered.