Logistics/Customs Compliance Specialist
LOGISTICS/CUSTOMS COMPLIANCE SPECIALIST
**Please note that this position is off our office located in Brampton**
The Logistics/Customs Compliance Specialist will be responsible to assist/support the Logistics Manager in negotiations, supplier management, and financial analysis with the Victaulic carrier base, and driving the strategic sourcing process. This position will also work cross-functionally with all departments to arrange shipments, answer questions and address any shipping issues that may arise.
The Logistics Specialist will also be responsible for creating reports related to costs, efficiencies and cost savings. This individual will be required to compile, analyze and present data related to project work and Logistics Report outs to Management Team
The Logistics Specialist will benchmark costs, new processes, approaches, and technology that will continually drive improvements on performance and business results. Support the Logistics Manager in the negotiation of regional agreements which include negotiating prices, terms and conditions, risk mitigations and liabilities in support of those agreements.
The Logistics Specialist builds and leverages strong working relationships with internal customers and key carriers to assure cost, quality, and delivery targets are met. Working closely with Supply Chain Team/Local Management/Logistics Manager, they will assist in the development/communication/implementation of strategies, contracts and pricing to all regions with an overall focus on maintaining good carrier relationships and Logistics costs to a minimum to achieve maximum advantage for the company and its customers.
LOGISTICS JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with the development of logistics strategies for local initiatives.
- Performance Reporting: Assist with development, benchmarking, and distribution of weekly/monthly ad hoc and/or corporate reports pertaining to freight expenses/charges, utilization, local network/distribution efficiency
- Lead VCOC monthly and quarterly financial presentations, explaining any variances of current year costs to both budget and prior year.
- Support VCOC Logistics Manager on regional cost savings and risk mitigation projects.
- Assist in the development of the annual logistics budget.
- Assist Global Logistics Manager with the negotiation(s) of favorable regional contracts utilizing our regional/domestic volume and spend to leverage best in class pricing, liability, performance and capacity.
- Monitor and support freight bills for compliance to approved contracts.
- Create monthly accrual and accounting/aging reports
- Work on special projects as requested by the Supply Chain or VCOC Management.
- Assist the Logistics Manager with monitoring, maintenance, and utilization of approved carriers for all Victaulic locations and Customers for all modes of transportation and services.
- Provide cross-functional support by processing domestic and international non-customer order shipments and provide rate quotes for shipments as needed.
Responsible for handling export and/or import situations with oversight and guidance from Canada Logistics Manager and Global Trade Compliance Manager.
Responsibilities include coordination with staff that perform transaction due diligence, analysis of red flags, troubleshooting, assisting with training, developing, drafting, implementing the compliance procedure and management of trade compliance recordkeeping systems.
This role also requires the coordination with business partners, freight forwarders and customs brokers, and various internal departments
CUSTOMS COMPLIANCE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist Logistics Manager with analysis of export and import regulations, and tracking of changes
- Produce and analyze reports from ERP/MRP and other information systems.
- Coordinate with reginal and global internal departments including Supply Chain, Sales, Customer Care, Logistics and Manufacturing.
- Work pro-actively with departments to prevent trade disruptions.
- Work with product groups and suppliers to obtain information needed to support the classification under the Harmonized Tariff System and origin determinations of items for import and export.
- Prepare and review requirements for government programs, NAFTA, Customs Trade Partnership against Terrorism (C-TPAT), Automated Commercial Environment (ACE)
- Review and Update the coordination of export control classification of products for the conduct of import or export transactions.
- Coordinate program for calculations of preferential treatment under Free Trade Agreements.
- Prepare and verify export shipping documentation for ad-hoc and other manual shipments.
- Process and validate import shipping documentation, including Post Entry Audits
- Coordinate shipments with freight forwarders and customs brokers, and with customers or suppliers.
- Monitor and update trade compliance recordkeeping.
- Support Logistics Manager and Global Trade Compliance Manager in administering site export and import compliance programs
- Manage and execute creation and execution of annual Certificates of Origin to Victaulic customers.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards, even when challenged from above.
- Understand and live by Victaulic ethics and business code of conduct policies.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by Logistics Manager and or the Global Trade & Compliance Manager.
SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENT:
The use of appropriate safety equipment as described below is a condition of employment and not one of choice. Safety equipment that must be worn while performing job responsibilities are as follows:
- Standard safety equipment when in the plant is required (steel toe shoes, safety glasses, earplugs)
EDUCATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENT:
- A Business degree from an accredited college or university is preferred. (or equivalent experience)
- Experience in Logistics and Customs Compliance
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Curiosity to question processes and drive change
- Strong system skills including Microsoft Excel and Access
- Experience with AS-400 (BPCS) an asset
- Knowledge of using Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) information systems to perform business transactions.
- At least two-three years of experience with export and/or import regulatory compliance and with international business transactions and shipping documents, or related experience.
- Experience with trade compliance information systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail. Ability to work calmly under pressure and with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to prepare business letters and complete forms.