Senior Underwriter – Financial Lines
Tokio Marine HCC focuses on financial lines insurance, operating out of offices in London, Barcelona and Munich; together forming a centre of excellence within the Group for this line of business and jointly holding an extensive international client network ready for distribution of other related Tokio Marine products. Our unique set-up promotes knowledge-sharing amongst the team and ensures that our clients receive tailored coverage, efficient and effective advice along with a prompt service. We are an experienced international team with multilingual language skills and in-depth expert local knowledge. As a result, we are considered to be a leading local provider with global reach.
As a Financial Lines Senior Underwriter, based in our London office you will be employed by our legal entity HCC Global Financial Products. S.L. and that trades under the Tokio Marine HCC name. As such, you will form part of a young, dynamic team of professionals that focus on developing our regional portfolio. You will directly report to the Financial Lines Manager and, after an initial in-house training, carry out selection, analysis, and pricing of new and renewal policies, as well as negotiate the insurance terms and conditions with brokers and insureds in order to issue the final contractual documentation. You will be key in helping build profitable relationships with brokers and insureds and your role will fully support and comply with the company’s objectives and standards.
- Cultivate and maintain broker relations
- Analyse data relating to an account: study financial, regional/national economic trends and industry conditions in the assigned underwriting discipline
- Negotiate with brokers
- Follow Underwriting guidelines and submit underwriting, pricing and negotiation recommendations to the Financial Lines Manager
- Represent Tokio Marine HCC and our products to brokers, clients and other external parties.
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities
- Manage and grow the book of business
- Coordinate and/or participate in special projects
- Attend off-site conferences, trade shows, seminars and meetings
- In-depth understanding of your portfolio, broker structure and able to develop new business in accordance with company objectives.
Skills and Experience Specification:
- 5-8 years of experience in similar position with financial or legal background
- (BA or MA) Degree in Business Administration, Law, Economics or similar
- Entrepreneurial with excellent commercial skills
- Good negotiation skills and communicator
- Possess a proactive approach to problem solving, taking ownership
- High capabilities for analysis and synthesis
- Able to work well under pressure
- Authentic and self-confident
- Resourceful, hard worker taking pride in work
- Punctual, loyal and reliable
- Team player
Employee Value Proposition
Why would top candidates want this job?
TMHCC is a global Financial Lines market with a track record of profitability and innovation, which offers its employees a stable long-term platform from which to underwrite, and develop their professional skills. The Company places great emphasis on looking after its employees, providing them with the opportunities to develop both personally and professionally.
Why is it better than competing jobs?
TMHCC’s longevity in the Financial Lines market is testimony to the Group’s commitment to this class of business. The culture of the organisation is about creating value through long term client relationships, making it a thoughtful and stable environment where Underwriters can flourish freed from short term targets or aggressive budgets. The culture is a major differentiator which allows Underwriters to focus on risk selection and bottom line underwriting.
What will the successful person learn, do, become?
The intention would be for the successful person to be an integral part of the successful PI team, contributing to the continued profitable growth of the unit. Expectations are that the successful person would play a key role in the underwriting of new and renewal business, and offer assistance to more Junior members of the team on referrals. The “one hub” mentality of TMHCC FL means that it is envisaged that there would be opportunities to offer guidance to the Barcelona and Singapore teams on risk specific matters, bringing a technical perspective to referrals.
“Tokio Marine HCC is a leading specialty insurance group with offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, and other locations. With the strength and stability that comes from being a member of the Tokio Marine group, and more than forty years of growth, profitability, and stability, we offer important insurance products that most people do not even know exist.
Just as we invest in our company, we invest in our employees’ careers. We provide our employees a collaborative and rewarding environment within which to gain the knowledge, skills, and experience that lead to a rewarding career. Our products allow our customers to take on opportunity with confidence. In turn, our competitive salaries, attractive benefits, and potential for career growth allow you to take on opportunity with confidence.
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.