Tokio Marine HCC – Surety Group
- Do you have a good understanding of financial statements (i.e., profit & loss, balance sheet, income statement, cash flow)?
- Do your writing skills show your ability to present information in an analytical manner?
- Are you looking for an opportunity with steady, long-term growth potential?
- Are you willing to work in Los Angeles for one year, and then relocate and expand your career at a Surety Group branch office?
If you answered “yes!” to those questions, Tokio Marine HCC - Surety Group has an exciting Underwriting Trainee opportunity that can launch your career in a new direction. We are looking for individuals who will analyze financial information, learn the foundations of surety underwriting, and become future leaders of the company.
While we will teach you technical terms, processes, and responsibilities on the job, we’re looking for your strengths to help build the success of our company. We’re seeking candidates with characteristics like curiosity to learn, proactive initiative to find information, thinking beyond what is presented, finding solutions to problems, good judgement and decision-making, excellent writing skills, good presentation skills, a customer service mindset, and excellent organizational skills.
The Surety Group Underwriting Trainee program starts in-person in June 2024 in Los Angeles, CA. During the first year, the program includes in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in Underwriting, Claims, IT and Finance. Trainees progress during the second and subsequent years into Surety Underwriter positions at a branch location with greater underwriting and leadership responsibility. Surety Trainees will be part of the Tokio Marine HCC Accelerate early career - talent development program.
Timeline and Performance Objectives
- During the first 6 months: Understand surety operations. Work with Underwriting, Claims, Finance and IT departments on various projects. Review underwriting submissions. Ask a lot of questions to understand the process.
- During the first year: Review and analyze risks. Show critical thinking. Find creative and analytical solutions to write business for clients for any branch office. Work toward the AFSB designation.
- Beyond the first year: Relocate to a branch office. Assess the risk of default on a variety of contract and commercial surety bonds, with increasing underwriting authority over time. Expand business opportunities through productive outreach and market development. Complete your AFSB designation.
Education and Experience
- We prefer a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or Risk Management, or the equivalent education and/or experience.
- The role is an entry-level underwriting position. Internship(s) or experience in business or a related area is preferred.
- Willingness to relocate to any TMHCC Surety branch office, including among the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas.
For candidates working in-person in Los Angeles, the reasonable pay range for this specific position is $30.77 to $35.90 per hour. The salary offered for this specific position is based on a number of legitimate, non-discriminatory factors set by the Company. The Company is fully committed to ensuring equal pay opportunities for equal work regardless of color, race, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, veteran status, disability, pregnancy, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local pay equity laws. The salary range is the range TMHCC, in good faith, believes is the range of possible compensation for this role at the time of this posting. This range may be modified in the future, and actual compensation may vary from posting based on geographic location, work experience, education, and/or skill level. Even within the pay range, the actual compensation will vary depending on the above factors as well as market and business considerations.
Tokio Marine HCC is a leading specialty insurance company with offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe, and other locations. We offer competitive compensation, great benefits, and the strength, stability, growth, and profitability that comes from being a member of the Tokio Marine Group of Companies.
The Tokio Marine HCC Group of companies is an equal opportunity employer. Please visit www.tmhcc.com for more information about our companies.