The purpose of this role:
- Critical & challenging position reporting into the Head of Platforms that requires strategic business understanding and a clear understanding of IT Infrastructure, automation & cloud services.
- This role will set the strategy for the management of the portfolio of technology services provided to the International business users and business lines.
- Identifies and manages resources needed for budgeting, estimating, planning, developing and delivering a specified portfolio of technology services and systems.
- Plans and manages the implementation of processes and procedures, tools and techniques for monitoring and managing the performance of technology services.
- Aligns the contribution of specified systems and services to clearly stated organisational and financial goals and performance targets. Recommends options for sourcing — whether in-house, outsourced, or a combination.
- Monitor’s performance of delivery teams and takes corrective action where necessary and in line with policies
- Optimizing team performance, improving processes and procedures, monitoring systems, management of the currency and security protection of the infrastructure & cloud services.
- The holder of this post will have the ability to build strong and effective relationships with Service Owners, business leaders, users throughout the organisation
- Strong understanding of the finance industry, budget authority for TMHCCI Hosting & Cloud function.
Responsibilities & Key Tasks:
Product & Technology Management
- Provides technical leadership to optimise the performance of IT infrastructure.
- Investigates and manages the adoption of tools, techniques, and processes (including automation) for the management of systems and services.
- Oversees the planning, installation, maintenance and acceptance of new and updated infrastructure components and infrastructure-based services. Aligns to service expectations, security requirements and other quality standards.
- Collaborate on the design and delivery of projects supporting cloud strategy, data centre moves/closures; ensuring solutions are ‘designed for service’ in the Production environment.
- Ensures that operational procedures and documentation are fit for purpose and kept up to date. Ensures that operational issues are identified, recorded, monitored, and resolved.
- Responsible for precise and cost-effective management of cloud services and on-premises data centres.
- Management of agreed service level and operating level agreements, proactively protecting adherence through actions taken on the back of MI on performance of the infrastructure estate utilising other technology teams as required.
- Responsible for the team skill levels required to support the infrastructure estate as well as any changes to the infrastructure estate.
- Responsible for effective resource utilisation within area of ownership managing priorities across locations accordingly.
- Collaborate to build and manage a disaster recovery plan in support of an overall business continuity program.
- Ensure that all infrastructure components are managed to the appropriate level of risk with respect to security patches, software/firmware revision levels and supplier supported versions.
- Agree infrastructure standards and optimise savings through compliant procurement of compliant products, in collaboration with Enterprise Architects, Cloud Platform Teams, regional technology heads and Global Procurement.
- Manages suppliers to meet key performance indicators and agreed targets.
- Manages the operational relationships between suppliers and ensures potential disputes or conflicts are raised and resolved.
- Performs benchmarking and makes use of supplier performance data to ensure that performance is adequately monitored and regularly reviewed. Use suppliers' expertise to support and inform development roadmaps.
- Manages implementation of supplier service improvement actions. Identifies constraints and opportunities when negotiating or renegotiating contracts.
- Assist in the planning, preparation, development, and successful execution of departmental budgets. To include the management, reviewing and negotiating of vendor contracts.
- Drive the integration with global teams to the best operational and change service possible.
- Manages Vendor performance through compliance monitoring.
- Work beyond scheduled hours as required providing out of hours support in incident situations.
- Recruit, lead, motivate, develop, and manage the performance of direct reports, building a high calibre team with the skills and capabilities needed to deliver the required results.
- Maintains, and leads Hosting & Cloud workgroups, and individuals to achieve organisational objectives.
- Encourages individual development of skills and capabilities in line with organisational, local team and personal goals. Facilitates the development of individuals by adjusting workload, targets, and team capacity.
- Plays an active role in formal organisational processes such recruitment, reward, promotion, and disciplinary procedures.
- Develops and leads Hosting & Cloud Team, including defining career pathways.
- Monitors progress and evaluates business benefits achieved from continual professional development.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
- Degree level qualified in computer science, information systems, business management or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Technology management skills to take responsibility for the design, procurement, installation, upgrading, operation, control, maintenance, and effective use of IT infrastructure components and monitors their performance.
- At least 10 years leading design and support of enterprise-level IT infrastructure.
- Practical knowledge of ITIL application processes and implementation.
- Experience with key controls pertaining to IT infrastructure management.
- Proven experience of managing on premise Infrastructure & VMware Platforms.
- Proven experience in managing cloud native operations in AWS, Azure, through times of significant cloud transformation.
- Experience of CI\CD, automation, orchestration & Infrastructure as code methodologies.
- Technical leadership and experience in projects involving AWS, Azure.
- Proven experience in leading through times of significant transformation.
- At least 7 years of management experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior Infrastructure Operations leadership role across global locations.
- Absorbs complex information and communicates effectively at all levels to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Manages and mitigates risk. Understands the implications of new technologies.
- Demonstrates clear leadership.
- Understands and communicates industry developments, and the role and impact of technology in the employing organisation.
- Promotes compliance with relevant legislation. Takes the initiative to keep both own and colleagues' skills up to date.
- Hands-on, collaborative leadership style with a heavy focus on business engagement and supreme focus on customer service and relationship management with organizational partners and customers.
- Communication and stakeholder management skills to provide appropriate status and other reports to specialists, users and managers.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to make effective decisions while working through complex issues.
- Must be able to utilize and effectively communicate functional and technical components of an initiative to applicable parties both verbally and through documentation.
- Change leader who advocates for change with confidence, takes ownership and personal responsibility for implementing change, and leverages communications, goals, resources, and metrics to ensure broader understanding and accountability.
- Attention to detail, good analytical and problem-solving skills and critical thinking are essential.
- Ability to recognize and implement improved efficiencies and productivity.
- Able to mediate issues between users, team members or other personnel and subordinates.
- Able to mentor others as needed.
- A self-starter/motivator having a proactive, agile and strategic mindset are a must.
- Able to cope with adversity and handle urgent system issues under pressure.
- Able to define activity roadmaps considering limited and scarce resources.
- Able to embrace and adapt to change while demonstrating flexibility and the ability to develop.
- Willingness to travel to Houston, Europe, and India.
- Knowledge of the Insurance Industry
Number of direct reports and team / function size:
The Hosting & Cloud Team consists of 9-10 FTE in International and 1 partner resource, the Hosting & Cloud Lead will have 2 – 3 direct reports.