Senior Catastrophe Risk Modeler
Tokio Marine HCC is a leading specialty insurance company with a global footprint supporting the many things in life we cherish. Love hamburgers and corn on the cob, seeing your favorite musician in an amazing venue, maybe even attending a football game? I bet you never realized there is an entire industry dedicated to ensuring peace of mind for all the big and little things in life. At Tokio Marine HCC we invite you to be part of the collaboration between minds, striving together to lead the specialty insurance field.
As a Catastrophe Risk Modeler focusing on Flood, you will utilize your technical expertise in catastrophe risk modeling joining a bright team of experts in risk modeling, analytics, research and development. This position will be located in Metro Atlanta area (Duluth, GA).
What you will do:
• Nat Cat Center of Excellence: Support Tokio Marine Group Nat Cat Center of Excellence proactively sharing flood catastrophe modeling expertise and research with the broader Tokio Marine Group Companies to foster risk culture, market intelligence, training, collaboration, data and ad-hoc requests.
• Catastrophe Model Development: Apply expertise in catastrophe risk modeling research and development for flood and support other peril models. Develop internal models and support solution development for Tokio Marine Holdings and Tokio Marine Group Companies’ initiatives.
• Catastrophe Model Validation: Research and develop benchmarks to evaluate model performance overall and for detailed model components – hazard and vulnerability – and loss validations to support model development and validation of vendor models.
• Support Tokio Marine Holdings ERM: Support Tokio Marine Holdings ERM to define and review standard capital modeling assumptions, custom views of risk, and estimate PMLs for under-modeled region-perils. Support Tokio Marine Group enterprise exposure management and other risk analytics functions to define peril assumptions, support live event response and post-event impact analysis. Apply expertise to support climate change research and impact assessment of physical risks.
- Solution Development: Support research and development of practical solutions, in coordination with other teammates, software developers or vendors, for internal use and use by stakeholders in TM group.
What you need to have:
• Masters degree (or Ph.D preferred) in Hydrology, Engineering (Hydraulic), similar field or equivalent work experience.
- Relevant and progressive professional experience in Catastrophe Modeling exhibiting educational training in area of expertise and aptitude to adapt to other expertise.
- Strong aptitude and educational training in area of expertise.
- Experience showing progressive experience applying expertise in varying catastrophe risk modeling functions.
• Strong technical skills in programming (Python or related), GIS, Excel, SQL.
• Strong research, creative problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Ability to thoroughly QA to ensure reliable results.
- Ability to support producing accurate, clear, professional, and detailed results via reports, exhibits and presentations.
- Aptitude as exceptional communicator a plus to engage and present results to stakeholders and non-technical audiences with ability to make connections externally and internally. Communicate with TM Group Company and external stakeholders with oversight.
- Exhibits progressive knowledge of P&C (re)insurance industry and application of catastrophe modeling for varying functions and use cases.
- Proficiency as user of vendor cat models as applied in (re)insurance industry for varying functional areas a plus. Understanding to prepare exposure data inputs, related statistics, and financial modeling a plus.
- Project management is not required but preferred and dependent on individual aptitude.