Lead / Principal Graphics Engineer
ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
We believe that games play better with friends. For more than 20 years, we’ve been creating team-based multiplayer experiences that have entertained tens of millions of players all over the world and forged countless new friendships along the way.
Our studio culture is rooted in our open, friendly, and collaborative environment. Our games are made by people from all over the world, from our entry-level Fresh Talent hires to industry veterans, and we believe that fostering that diverse culture is the best way to build both our games and our studio. We have won numerous awards, including a ‘World-Class’ accreditation by Best Companies and being named one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to work for.
While our offices are based in Bromley, UK, our people have access to progressive working patterns that give them the flexibility to decide how to do their best work.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for you and your family, including:
- Work your way with access to progressive working patterns including hybrid and fully remote
- Substantial performance-related pay system on top of your basic compensation, along with enhanced pension contributions and our life assurance scheme
- Bespoke VISA and relocation packages for you and your family, with support from our team throughout the whole process
- 25 days of holiday and 8 Bank Holidays a year, plus our annual studio closure between Christmas and New Year’s
- Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family, along with a 24/7 digital GP service
- Extensive Mental Health support, with Line Manager Mental Health training, a group of Mental Health First-Aiders, and on-site or remote counselling
- Our bespoke Learning and Development course framework to help you grow as an employee, manager, and leader
- Industry-leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave
At Splash Damage, we create multiplayer combat games that champion team play and promote lifelong friendships. Systems, Rendering and Online programmers make up our Core Tech team and are responsible for implementing the core systems, graphics features, pipelines and infrastructure that empower the development team and provide the solid framework for all our titles. We work closely with other disciplines to help them realise their ideas through rapid prototyping and iterative agile development.
As a Lead Graphics Engineer, you will be responsible for spearheading the effort of your team from architecture design, to implementation of large-scale rendering features. You will consider the skills and talents of your team members and use their experience to identify risk, build roadmaps and become a force-multiplier for your team, mentoring them every step of the way.
We believe that constantly improving on our skills is an essential part of the job and offer regular leadership, management and mentoring training opportunities.
You excel at:
- Setting clear technical direction, intent and best practices within your team.
- Identifying risks and blockers early and proactively removing them.
- Working effectively in open and collaborative environments.
- Seeing the big picture impact of decisions and critically evaluating them.
- Nurturing professional growth within your team with an enthusiastic attitude and a team-first mentality.
- Communicating ideas, intent and constraints to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Expert knowledge of C++, with relevant professional experience.
- Practical and demonstrable professional experience with graphics programming in a modern game engine
- Strong understanding of game-development related 3D maths principles.
- The leadership skills to lead a rendering development team.
- Professional experience iteratively implementing graphics features from inception to delivery.
- Experience working in all phases of game development, from feature design and implementation to bug-fixing.
- Experience working closely with design teams to elicit requirements and design graphics and low-level engine systems.
Even better if you have:
- Professional development experience with real-time networked multiplayer games.
- Professional Unreal Engine 4 development experience on PC and/or consoles.
- Experience with multi-threaded development
- Experience developing for Scarlett, PS5, Xbox One and/or PS4.
- Experience profiling and optimising code for optimal CPU, memory and bandwidth usage.
- Experience developing procedurally generated environments.
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.